Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wondering what kind of setup you people here would go with.

this is what i have. please keep in mind i already have these parts. i have a y8 head with a crower stage 3 cam, crower springs and retainers, and crower valves. a6 block.

option 1. eagle rods, 10:1 srp pistons. then prolly a 2 stage nitrous kit.

option 2. use y8 rods with the p29 pistons and hastings rings, and arp rod bolts.

i know im suppose to have high compression with this cam, and im worried about not having enough with the eagle and srp setup. and with the p29 set up, im worried about the rods not being able to handle the power. from what ive searched and learned is that the stock rods can handle roughly 200hp. i dunno maybe i wont even come close to that but id like to think i will. please let me know what you guys think.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
if your worried about rods go with machined LS rods but stock are more than fine with P29's. With the Y8 your going to have pretty high compression. YOu could always go with SRP's on LS rods and mill your head

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, i think i got the cam from you slowmatic.

i dont think ive researched using ls rods. ill have to look it up unless you want to fill me in really quick.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
dont think you did i only ever had a crower stg2. Basically you machine the big end of the LS rod to fit our D crank. It has a 21mm pin in it so no factory D piston will work (except the 98-00 PDN GX piston, which will give you pretty high compression) so you use aftermarket pistons with them. Just use ARP rod bolts with them and youll have a rod capable of 300hp and lighter than aftermarket rods

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is the pin size for the d series rods then?

im guessing the srp pistons i have are 21mm. so that would make them floating? im kinda confused here sorry.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
stock D is 19mm. Id get something other than SRPs. Id go with an Arias 11.5:1 or some endyn rollerwaves. YOur gonna need higher compression with that cam

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would like to go with a different piston setup but i dont really have that kind of money right now otherwise that would be my route.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
do the GX PDN piston than. You can get 12.5:1 with no milling and its a great design piston

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive thought that the eagles were a bit big.

where can i find these gx pdn pistons? ive never looked for them before so im not sure where to look. do those pistons have good enough valve reliefs for a big cam?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
can only get them from honda just search under a 98-00 civic gx when you enter the car. You might wanna check the clearances on it or talk to The Acid Beaver on here as he is doing a GX motor with a big cam i believe

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Id go option 2, but be sure to clay the motor with vtec engaged to make sure you don't have a piston kiss a valve, with that big of a cam and non-vtec pistons....I'd actually go with some 11:1 or higher SRP pistons since they're a better combustion design (and can account for the high lift better i imagine)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts