Honda D Series Forum banner

Lightweight or machine the stock one?

Poll: Lightweight flywheel or stock?

12K views 75 replies 24 participants last post by  psjones13 
I going back to stock because I do fall out of boost between shift some of it has to deal with my tranmission the separation beween gears and the big turbo that I am running. I'm also going to a comp clutch sprong six puck with dual pressure plate because my current act is getting wore out but been a very good clutch.

I currently have a 7lb but I don't belive you should run one this light because the fly wheel kinda acts like a dampner for the engine I would stick with something arournd the 12lb range. I know of this because I have a lot of harmonics noise that travels through my car because of the engine.

I think heavier flywheels to a point help with fuel mileage also because it keeps the momentum up at crusing speeds so the engine dosent have to work so hard to keep turning to maintain that speed.
I'm running a 7 lb'er, I don't get any noise from the engine. what about acceleration though in stop and go traffic? I deffinately feel like it has more pick up go, its really throttle responsive. momentum with the 7lb'er sucks for climbing hills though, didtn really notice any difference on flat roads at cruising speeds

But what about for daily driving? He says that he drives the car a lot during the week in addition to drag racing. The amount the revs would drop would annoy me while stree driving. Also, any performance gains still need to be worth the $165 that he'd spend on the lightweight flywheel. What's the typical E.T. differences between lightweight and stock?
a 7lb flywheel for daily really isnt all that bad, either learn to shift quicker, or at higher rpm, or keep the throttle on just a tad. either way, it isnt annoying.

I think the 12lb Cromemoly one is the way to go. It gives you the best of both worlds it revs quick but when you let off the gas the rpm dosent drop so fast the idle control can't keep up and the car shuts off.

This happen to me alot when I had itbs on my car. I would let off the gas, push in the clutch and the engine rpm would drop so fast it the engine would just shut off. This was one of the reason I took them off and because of gas mileage drop almost 10 miles per gallon
wow! thats a huge drop in mileage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.