Honda D Series Forum banner

PNW Tacoma Seattle area Honda specific machine work?

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  PPorting 
#1 ·
I live in the Seattle Tacoma South Sound area of Washington and I'm looking for a good shop for work on my JDM obd0 d15b non vtec motor.

I love my girl at the machine shop I use now but that was a find for my old fiesta, honda stuff isn't their specialty. They also don't really have advice on where I should head. Speedfactory didn't really wanna talk d's but advised a shop in Redmond, but they didn't say they had experience with scca builds so I've cooled on that option.

I'll be asking around at the double major coming up at Pacific, but in the meantime do you guys have any input?

Looking to install rod bolts at LEAST soon....ish, will probably ask them to shot peen the stock rods and balance the thing up after all is said and done. Im looking to run a 7300-7500rpm shift point to always be up on my cam. Needs to be reliable with regular use between 5500 and 7k. Scca exp is a plus.

Also open to hearing about pnw head porting experiences.

#9 ·
Don Moody - Street Designs
Address: 14107 Pioneer Way E, Puyallup, WA 98372
Phone: (253) 604-4068
Hours: Open today · 8AM–6PM

Wait are u talking about one cam only member sohcinwa w his pink dual carbed car we see up at Pacific from time to time?
The car is gone but yes, that guy.

#3 ·
Well, Any machine shop should be able to do ANY machine work. YOu just ned to give them the specs (which are easy to find online)

Shot peening rods are getting harder to find as rod strength have improved with better materials over the decades.

If your not planning on taking out the pistons, im sure you can take out rod bolts and swap them one by one.. but since the bearings are probably old, Id replace them as well. It should already be balanced if your not changing anything.

If done right, i dont see why it woulnt hold up to 7k runs. Just as long as the oil pump is in good shape.

But then again, if its for 1 SCCA event, youll be fine. If your going on weekend runs regularly, you should consider a full re-build.

#4 ·
Yeah oiling has been a research topic, #410 scrap attack chump team run b's now but had much to say on the value of pump porting and rpm appropriate pressure from his days running d's

#5 ·
According to yelp the best auto tinting is showroom auto tint on Tacoma Mall Boulevard, so I stopped in while I was out there (its a really nice place) and we laughed our asses off about this and had some sodas. Didn't know what was up w who builds max effort scca d15's though

Ppl are really going to extremes w wraps yo, I thought it was just ricer brzs and imprezas doing it

#7 ·
Oh I know, I don't plan on running scca, budget is more drag friendly. Hoping to go chumping in the next couple years though. (Probly not w this car)

I've just seen too many ppl rev the nuts off stock build Hondas and they don't last long. Id like something that I can run to the best of its potential without worry I'm gonna scatter the bottom end autocrossing it, or that how I drive is otherwise risking it's integrity.

That said I do have a bit of a paranoid streak, so if semi building a bottom end so I can stretch a beast7 is dumb please say so.

Also if adding that much compression without re ringing it is a bad idea speak up!

Everyone seems to say I'm good to go but in my previous experience w domestics I've even had ring failure because I had heads serviced, and just restoring factory compression was too much.

Oh. I totally took oco literally and googled it

Every time I googled oco it thought I meant oso so it gave me soda and landslide results. I honestly started thinking it was like smh where my gf had to Google it just to find out it's just teenie bop text shorthand. Anyway.

I'll keep looking.

Last thing here i swear. Is this fella I seek more likely to have info on a good machinist, or is he a guy to ask about d series headwork?

#8 ·
Wait are u talking about one cam only member sohcinwa w his pink dual carbed car we see up at Pacific from time to time?

#10 ·
Haha I know EXACTLY where that is and this old car has some bubbly tint I've been meaning to have taken care of anyway. What a happy coincidence THIS is. Lots of thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.