Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just bought a 91 CRX HF that had some un identified "JDM pull" motor swapped in by a PO, before the PO.

The 8 valve head is long gone, but the stock intake and (I assume) computer remain. I would presume the dizzy is likely original to the car as well, but who knows.

The engine that is in it is a 16V, SOHC, non-VTEC motor with a D15B stamp and a 7 digit serial number starting 10... underneath the D15B. Cam cover bolts on top, spark plugs towards back, coil internal to the dizzy (if it matters.) The cylinder head casting number is PM9-6.

I am finding VERY little information about this cylinder head on the 'net, and what two solid bits I have, that include someone saying plainly "The PM9-6 cylinder head comes on such and such engine and is thusly different/the same from every other non VTEC SOHC 16V heads..." contradict each other flatly.

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40273 This thread here, says its a Non VTEC ZC head with a smaller chamber and a more aggressive cam.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f14/honda-crx-have-engine-codes-156646/ This thread here says it comes from a D15B7 from "a DX."

I am not building a racecar here.. I am putting an HF back together, and maybe eventually swapping the intake/ECU MAYBE. I have a Datsun 280Z thats a project car, and I deliver pizzas right now. The CRX is a DD/Pizzamobile/car I have ALWAYS wanted to own.

My point is I am not like, looking for mad leet JDM original style pointz, yo.

I just wanna know what the frack I have in my engine bay. (no hood, yet, still bent up from accident in the hands of the PO.) My guess is that I will almost certainly want to do something about the reversion at the step from intake manifold runner/flange to head port, because this little HF manifold has GOT to have ports far smaller than any civilized (ie >62bhp) D series head.

I have searched the internet high and low; the reason I didn't include any reference from D-series.org is because there WAS no reference to PM9-6 in the archives. Should I have used a ? or a * to "fool" the search engine or something??

Thanks for reading this book of a post, and posting any knowledge you might have. I can take the thing apart to help you guys help me ID it, and I have pics to offload from my dad's camera, but they aren't incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it is an orphaned thread at this point, and I have essentially determined that the above post is basically correct; I have been labeling it as a B7 but obivously with a caveat.

I resurrect because I never came back and posted my pics, and I hate leaving bad threads out there, unfinished, with my name on them. Here's a picture of the engine ID plate:

And the head casting:

As I said, my mystery is basically solved at this point, but I wanted to leave these photos out there for Posterity's sake. I didn't find much about the PM9-6 head anywhere for certain, and whatever I DO learn about it will be posted here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts