Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For you guys still running the 25 year old PM6 ecu, the electrolytic capacitors are nearing the end of their life and should be replaced. Capacitor technology has improved massively since the days of OBD0 and here's what I used to upgrade my PM6. Hope this helps some of you guys who are like me (too stubborn to go OBD1)

The original KME series capacitors have a 1000 hour life at 105 degrees Celsius are out of production. The LXZ series capacitors I used as replacements have an increased life of 8000 hours! Here's the part numbers and quantity you need. Other capacitors will work, but these are the best.

3 x ELXZ350ELL330MEB5D
1 x ELXZ160ELL101MFB5D
1 x ELXZ100ELL471MH12D
1 x ELXZ350ELL331MJ16S

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's what they look like. The brown ones are old and the blue ones are new. If anyone is interested, I have extra caps (seemed a waste of shipping to only buy enough for one ECU)

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Good pass on info.

It is getting to the point that any time you install a 96 or older ecu, you should be in the habit of opening it up and checking things out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more thing I want to add for the sake of completeness. Whenever I finish solder work on an ECU, I follow it up with conformal coating. These ECU's were originally coated at the factory, but solder work burns off the old coating, leaving your nice fresh work vulnerable to oxidation.

There's many different kinds of conformal coating, but I think silicone is the best since it stays flexible to help protect components from vibration and burns away easy when you do future solder work (some coatings need to be scraped away or chemically stripped before working on the board!)

This it the kind I use. It's also UV reactive so you can hit it with blacklight to make sure everythings coated. The mfg recommends baking at 150f but I find an hour in the sun works better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
May sound like a noob question but what exactly happens when the capacitors go out, like signs and symptoms to look for,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts