Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great detailed writeup!!!
Should this be in the DIY section? lol J/K :TU:
It actually took me a little while to decide where to post this, but I figured if my target audience is a n00b then that's where it should go.

I'm lookin over the stuff you sent me and I'll be adding it later.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice job man! This may have already been said, but you can also search a specific site by using "site:'insert site here w/o www.'" after your search term.

So for your example "D15B7 hp gain" would look like "D15B7 hp gain site:d-series.org" and that would bring back only results from DSO. Saves a step from the "" method then clicking the additional link.

I use this method all the time when searching for info here on DSO.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It actually took me a little while to decide where to post this, but I figured if my target audience is a n00b then that's where it should go.

I'm lookin over the stuff you sent me and I'll be adding it later.
Right on!
Yeah I apologize for it not being edited better, I try not to get caught typing at work but reading forums all night is different and ok? Feel free to use any or all of it as you will, if there is anything else I can do to help just let me know.

I kinda concider myself almost a "pronoob", it's been right over 3+ years ago when I got my very own Honda. The first year I just tryed to learn everything I could about my car, mostly maintenance and tune-up stuff. I googled the heck out of the interwebz, after 6-8 months lurking mainly on
H-T I finally had to sign up to talk to a member I had followed for awhile. That was in 08' I think. A year had gone by and I had dug up enough info to dedicate myself to making an "engine build plan". It took me another year to learn enough to decide which route to take and say this is "what I'm gonna do". I searched DSO for prolly just as long untill it was time to start a build thread and then I went ahead and joined up (it's my second home now).

My budget was so stupid mad jdm tyte yo that it gave me plenty of research time in between saving. Since the day I bought the car I've had 5 jobs with a few months unemployed, lived in 2 states under 4 different roofs, and had to hard park it a couple times for different reasons and I didn't have net access for a year. Oh, and it's been a real challenge the whole time just to keep it rolling, not counting all the previous fun, it currently has more oil in the rad then coolant (I don't condone being that stupid, but after a year now of buying parts and I'm almost done with my build, I just said screw it) it runs fine though lol.

The point is, as a noob the 3 most important things to me is:
1:Research X1000
2 Determination
3:patience

If you fail to be strong in any of these 3 then you just fail :yes:

Sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
977 Posts
FUCKING STICKYYYYYY!!!!!

NICE WORK AWEBB, IT CANT BE TOLD BETTER THAN THIS. Besides with it being in the noob forum not to much should be considered unfindable, i search google for dseries shit all the time. Comes up beautifully. If this isnt stickied yet? it should be.

Pat on the helmet.

Later: and of course im too late as usual, i see its been stickied already.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Here's an update.

When you search google, instead of "d-series.org" in your query, just use this "site:d-series.org my words here". :wub:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Great info. If everyone would just search before they post a dumb question then there would be nobody to pick on
And what would the fun of that be? Hence why this thread is hidden in plain sight so nobody ever reads it....lol J/K! Rep to you sir :TU:

·
Registered
265 Posts
So you all expect a noob to search out the answer to every question they have and be able to determine which out of a thousand posts contains the single correct answer?

Maybe the search function would work better if the vets would answer more questions right away so that when the search function is used it returns an answer rather than a slew of "get your nomex on buddy" or "did you search" replies.

JGTC-EG

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So you all expect a noob to search out the answer to every question they have and be able to determine which out of a thousand posts contains the single correct answer?
YES!

And no. We expect someone to put forth effort to find the answer, gain knowledge of what the answer might be (not necessarily find "the answer" but refine the question), to search more thoroughly again, and finally (when all searching has proven futile) make a thread about it.

This is a tutorial designed to teach people how to help themselves to the information that's already been posted on this forum. It's to prevent the "Wassup D? How do I make 300 whp on my D15 without goin turbo?" question. Because that does crop up a ton.

FWIW, the reason you're getting a bunch of "get your nomex on buddy" or "did you search" replies is because the "vets" have answered these questions LOOOOOOONG ago and about a million trolls have come along since then to ask the same question without having done a single search.

·
Registered
74 Posts
surprisingly extremely helpful even for ppl who have been on here a little...rep...guess ppl don't understand noobs are like children there better seen not herd but we all make mistakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks for the info bro!! i would say u have no clue how much this helps us "noobs" but, u posted it because u understand the struggle. thanks again bro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't forget about the Boolean operator " - ". The dash (or minus sign) will exclude terms from your search results. Like if you want to search naturally aspirated big power d16 but you don't want the word "turbo" to be in your results, -turbo gives you results that don't include the word turbo.

Be cautious, though. Someone's title could be "Big power without a turbo!", and you would never see it. Just a thought.

Kev

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.