Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, while I was searching around onthe web for a cam, I ran into afew things. Here they are...

1. Bearings on the crank... What are the purpose of them and I do assume that those can't be reused, so new ones are in order. Nothing seems to be wrong with them, but then again, I've never seen them before.

2. Msd Products. Blaster Ignition Coil, and Ignition Control Module. I do plan on running 8.5mm spark plug wires and colder spark plugs, but would I need to get any of these things.

3. Oil cooler. Would that be a waste of my money?

4. And for the turbo and intercooler. Crankcase breather/catch can. Suppose to help keep oil blowby from getting into the intercooler by releasing it thru this breather and not into the intake tract and intercooler piping. Is it needed or a waste of money? Or is it really that big of a deal?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have now T3/t4 turbo and intercooler, decided to get a stage 2 Crower cam and new springs and Ferrea super alloy valves and retainers, port onthe intake side and port/polish on the exhaust side of the head. Bottom end stays stock, 8.5mm wires, stated above. 450cc injectors, along with 190lph walbro fuel pump. Aem cam gear and all new pulleys from Aem. Free flow catback and exhaust system, buddy club vtec controller. Also, Vitara pistons and ESP H beam eagle rods. Possible an oil cooler, if it works well, and all heald down with ARP head studs. Xact Prolite flywheel and stage 1 clutch. This setup should run around 7pounds of boost, maybe 13. Its setup for 13 now (still undecided). Ecu will be chipped and programmed with Crome, once all is together and completely built. There are afew other things like gauges and header wraps from thermo tec and turbo wrap and intake wrap as well. I hope those work as they say they do. this is what I got so far, so if there are any suggestions, let me know. As long as I am spending money, I'd rather spend it and do it right the first time, saves money inthe end and my engine...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
if you don't know what bearings or a catch-can are (and what they do), you need to read the stickies before posting, you can find your answers by searching...

·
Registered
87 Posts
If one of my friends had an engine apart and asked me what the bearings were for, I'd tell him to put the tools down and take it to a shop. But I wont tell you that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, since everyone posted comments ignored the other questions, maybe I should rephrase the first question. I do not know anything about the crank. I am taking it to a shop, but I wanted to know about the bearings. I don't mind you flaming me, I could care less, but atleast answer my question.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can do head work and understand what everything is on a head and pretty much thru out the car, but beyond that, my experience on blocks are rather low. I know no one who has gone beyond the head for work inthe engine. So excuse me for not knowing everything. This is a forum to learn right. I am here wanting to learn. Call me retarded or dumb, whatever, but atleast answer my question so that makes me alil more competent. But, the block and crank are going to a shop, cause I'll screw it up.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Alright, while I was searching around onthe web for a cam, I ran into afew things. Here they are...

1. Bearings on the crank... What are the purpose of them and I do assume that those can't be reused, so new ones are in order. Nothing seems to be wrong with them, but then again, I've never seen them before.

2. Msd Products. Blaster Ignition Coil, and Ignition Control Module. I do plan on running 8.5mm spark plug wires and colder spark plugs, but would I need to get any of these things.

3. Oil cooler. Would that be a waste of my money?

4. And for the turbo and intercooler. Crankcase breather/catch can. Suppose to help keep oil blowby from getting into the intercooler by releasing it thru this breather and not into the intake tract and intercooler piping. Is it needed or a waste of money? Or is it really that big of a deal?
1. I think the purpose of a bearing is completely self-explanatory. Plenty of people have re-used bearings if they showed no sign of damage and the clearances were within spec but I wouldn't do it unless it was an absolute emergency.

2. Not needed. Stock ignition is fine.

3. Yes

4. You can vent to the atmosphere if you don't care about polluting. Otherwise hook up the catch can to catch all of that excess crap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The bearings and an oil film, thats what supports your crank. If that clearance that your bearings have against your crank aint right, things can get ugly.

You dont need any of that ignition stuff. You dont need an oil cooler. You don't need a catch can.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you. I am sure that to some of you that I sounded like a total retard. Well, I was just asking some ?'s because some people told me that Ignition upgrades were a must due to the force of air being moved into the engine that it would make it really hard to keep a fire w/the spark plug. 2. i have been told as well that if oil temps were low that that would prolong the life of the turbo making it more efficent.. kind of like putting a turbo wrap onthe turbo making it alil cooler, blah blah blah... and the bearing, ok, I got the bearings. I thought they served something alil more... as in purpose wise. Nonetheless, the crank will be done by a shop. And I will get a catch can. Thanks for taking time to explain things to a 'tard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts