Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just bought a te04h mitsubishi turbo off ebay, and im concerned about it. When i spin the shaft, its makes a pretty loud metal to metal sound, as if its rubbing the inside. The fins look like they clear the housing well, its a standard bearing turbo. the guy said it was sittin gin his shop for a while, could the loud metal to metal sound be from it being dried up? oh btw it has very minimal shaft play, not enough imo to be bad bearings, but you never know. Im not too familliar with this type of turbo and i just want to see if anyone can possibly provide some insight, thanks

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did shoot a little wd40 in there, not a ton to drown it but enough to rotate it, still makes the metal to metal noise. Im honestly leaning toward it just needing actual oil to lubricate it and it would calm down.

· Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
34,993 Posts
it has to be contacting the housing somewhere. a turbo should never make a metal to metal sound. take the housings off and see for yourself

sounds to me like you got screwed on the deal. i sure hope you didnt pay much

· Premium Member
773 Posts
it has to be contacting the housing somewhere. a turbo should never make a metal to metal sound. take the housings off and see for yourself

sounds to me like you got screwed on the deal. i sure hope you didnt pay much
or i hope you paid with paypal :bigok:

· Classic Man
Civic
23,667 Posts
IMHO the te04h is a waste anyways. i ran one, horrible powerband. sure you get full boost by like 2100rpm, but i like my power to carry past 5k...
true that.

but i must admit, i had one on my stock ZC VTEC and it ran 13.2 on street tires, at 106.8mph.

not bad.....

· Registered
780 Posts
It could be a bunch of things. They are all bad but some could be worse. It could be a bent shaft, bent fins, build up in the exhaust housing (I just broke apart a 14B that was pinging because of this), bad thrust bearing, etc, etc. Did you check the play with a dial indicator? Also what is the in and out play (this is more serious then the side to side)?

What model is this turbo? What car is it from?

· Classic Man
Civic
23,667 Posts
It could be a bunch of things. They are all bad but some could be worse. It could be a bent shaft, bent fins, build up in the exhaust housing (I just broke apart a 14B that was pinging because of this), bad thrust bearing, etc, etc. Did you check the play with a dial indicator? Also what is the in and out play (this is more serious then the side to side)?

What model is this turbo? What car is it from?
its a mitsubishi te04h. its a chrysler turbo, sundance, new yorker, caravan, daytona, lebaron, etc

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the replies guys, had a friend with alil more knowledge than me take a look at it. He offered to buy it on the spot lol, everything was good, still learning my turbo shit.

· Classic Man
Civic
23,667 Posts
thanks for all the replies guys, had a friend with alil more knowledge than me take a look at it. He offered to buy it on the spot lol, everything was good, still learning my turbo shit.
i guess that means it was ok?? hehhe:bigok:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.