Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so i have a 1996 Honda civic ex and its cranking, air is good i checked the bolt on the fuel filter and there was fuel.I checked the spark plugs(by taking each plug out and touching it to a ground and giving it power) and the spark on each plug seems to be weak what could be wrong? Is there any troubleshooting steps that im missing?

-Put in New spark plugs 8:15pm still no start they are sparking and wet with fuel tested the same way (stuck plug into wire socket and touched it to a bolt on the valve cover and got spark)

-(Update) checked spark again dull orange color so is it the dizzy or the internals?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Was the car running before this?

Is timing good?

Does the motor have compression?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this i last used the car at 3pm NY time and then at around 430 i went to start it it turned on then off and did not turn on again the only other issue i ever had was sometimes after putting gas i would drive away from the gass station and she would sort of sputter and turn off but she would start right back up. Timing to my knowledge is good

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
It could be that coil is to weak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think so , i used a test light on the coil and the spark was also orange, if the coil is bad is that what needs to be replaced? I also changed the rotor and it still did not start.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think so , i used a test light on the coil and the spark was also orange, if the coil is bad is that what needs to be replaced? I also changed the rotor and it still did not start.
Yeah. I've had them just kinda die, and also explode....

EDIT: If this has been an on-going problem for a little while now, then you may also need to watch out for your igniter module going bad. The Honda factory ones are usually pretty solid, but they can crap out. I'd say start with the coil, though. Igniters are kinda pricey, especially if you don't need to replace them...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOOOOOkay so i changed the ignition coil and.... the car took like a minute to start but she started and runs but , it feels different and i hear more noise coming from the engine oh and shes idling at less then 1000 rpm -_- now what could be wrong and also when im driving if i come up to a stop sign the idle drops less then 1000 , heres a pic that i took.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Looks OK to me.

Is it a stick or auto?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts