Honda D Series Forum banner

Which option is the best option in your opinion?

• Si wheels & high end wheel locks

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • ARP extended studs, Timkin bearings, and a fat wheel spacer

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Those silly wheel spacers with another set of wheel studs built in.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought some 15" GM steel wheels, hoping they would clear my new integra type r brake calipers. They do not, I had to put my lug nuts on before the wheel in order for it to clear the caliper. The offset is that terrible on these pieces of shit. But, I would prefer steel wheels.

I can either buy Si (or whatever) wheels and some high end locking lug nuts, or press the hub off the spindle, hammer the old studs out, install ARP extended wheel studs, Timkin bearings and a huge (aprox. 2 centimeter) wheel spacer, or buy a pair of those two inch wheel spacers that have another set of wheel studs built into them. I like the steel wheels better, no one would steal them unlike Si wheels. They're cheaper to replace, easier to find, etc. But, I'm not about to double the budget for this to keep steel wheels.

What do you guys think?

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
ITR brake calipers with 11.1" rotors will clear gsr wheels no problem. With that being said, I'm assuming the si and gsr have reletively the same wheel dimensions.

I'm 99% sure the si wheels fit.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
i voted for si wheels and locking lug nuts, however you can make stock lug nuts locking by welding one of them to the stud. Impossible to remove unless you break the stud off.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
i voted for si wheels and locking lug nuts, however you can make stock lug nuts locking by welding one of them to the stud. Impossible to remove unless you break the stud off.
So, when you get a flat or time for new tires?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone happen to know if 15" 7th gen. civic steel wheels have the necessary clearance for integra type r brake calipers?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! I searched for a while and only found a similar resource on honda tech, and it sucked in comparison. It made absolutely no mention of steel wheels, and this version is the thread I actually wanted too. I remember it because I did use TSX pads. I ordered the dorman oem equivalent to carefully test fit it before traveling all the way to a junkyard or wasting my time trying to find one of the three legitimate people out of fifty thousand on Honda Game.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
So, when you get a flat or time for new tires?
If all you have to do is break the stud off to change the tire, drive to the nearest repair shop and install a new stud then sure, atleast your 800$ rims are still attached to your car at the end of the day.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If all you have to do is break the stud off to change the tire, drive to the nearest repair shop and install a new stud then sure, atleast your 800$ rims are still attached to your car at the end of the day.
Or the thief breaks the studs for you and you have no wheels AND broken studs to replace!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or, for a cheaper price than what it will cost to have a repair shop change a stud on a spindle that doesn't have a relief to change studs without hub removal, you could simply buy some nice lock lug nuts.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
You do know that you have to press the hub out of the front knuckle to install a new stud, right?

...and when you press out the hub you compromise the bearing, so there's that expense, too.

Nevermind, it's a good idea. You should continue to use this method.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
DOwngrade brake calipers, upgrade brake pads, and use Hawk HP+ pads. I will never look back again.
What calipers do you think he should be using?

I like that 11" mini rotor, ITR/Accord caliper, and TSX pad setup though. Next time I need new brakes I might go that way.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I am using stock Civic calipers with 9.whatever" discs.

Can lock em up at any time if I want to. I had never run hawk race pads before, only various other "performance" pads and the usual over the counter crap.

Now that I have tried these pads, I can say the dust and noise is a bit of a joke, but the performance is absolutely GREAT! I never thought stock brakes could work so good.

So now that the car stops, the benefits of the lighter discs and calipers means I have a faster car that handles better.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Can lock em up at any time if I want to. I had never run hawk race pads before, only various other "performance" pads and the usual over the counter crap.

Now that I have tried these pads, I can say the dust and noise is a bit of a joke, but the performance is absolutely GREAT! I never thought stock brakes could work so good.

So now that the car stops, the benefits of the lighter discs and calipers means I have a faster car that handles better.
Usually larger brakes are for heat and fade resistance, not because you cant lock up the brakes.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
DOwngrade brake calipers, upgrade brake pads, and use Hawk HP+ pads. I will never look back again.
You recommended smaller brakes, because:

Can lock em up at any time if I want to.
Any factory car can lock up the brakes, bigger brakes are not to help you lock them up, it is to help you brake repeatedly without fade or damage.

Telling people to downgrade their brakes because factory sized ones can lock the tires is like saying: "Hey guys, I pulled the turbo off my honda and it runs and gets good gas mileage! So you should all get rid of your turbos too!"

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Well joel, since you are perfect, I guess I didnt write my post out properly the first time.

Sorry it wasn't done perfectly for you. I didnt realise my wording had to be up to your spec. You could just shut the fuck up, though. That might be the ticket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts