Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Honda Civic hx and my d16y7 motor blew in the second cylinder. I got a d15b2 for super cheap and have been running into some difficulties. I know some of my woring won’t fit but mainly I can’t figure out the distributor. The one from my old motor won’t fit into the d16b2 but if I leave that d16b2 distributor then my wiring won’t plug in. What do I do?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,191 Posts
my not use the y7 head on the b2 block?

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
53 Posts
my not use the y7 head on the b2 block?
That's going to depend on how the engine blew. Spun bearing or bent rod could leave the head untouched. Burnt/bent valve, broken con rod, over-revved, chunked piston and other situations could leave the head in bad shape. This sounds like a more-time-than-money situation, so tools to replace a burnt/bent valve might be out. Hell, even a replacement head gasket could be out.
The Y7 distributor should fit. IIRC, it's just the 5th gen VTEC distributors ('92-95 EX/Si/VX in the US) that have a different bolt pattern. Everything should bolt up fine except the driver's engine mount (needs the timing belt cover modified) and maybe the power steering pump bracket? No PS on my CRX, so I dunno. The B2 radiator fan switch is on the back of the block instead of the thermostat - run wires or maybe swap the thermostat housing. Maybe even just swap the housing cover. I'm not sure exactly what fits what so take a close look at it before pulling things apart. If you swap, get a new o-ring or two for the black metal water pump tube. The old ring(s) will leak if you pull the tube out at either end (the thermostat housing is one end).

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys i'm getting a 91 civic dx (free) with the d15b2. the head has a burnt valve and i happen to have a d16y7 engine with a good head but the bottom end knocks. my question is i am using the dual point efi and the distributor out of the b2. if i use the y7 head will i need to swap cams? and will i see a decrease in performance by using the y7 head with the stock b2 stuff. thanks
Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
53 Posts
So you're saying Y7 head in an otherwise stock '91 DX w/ D15B2? Probably. Bolt it up, turn the crank a few times by hand to make sure the pistons aren't playing footsie with the valves, then see if the ignition timing is way off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts