Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my OBX cam gear installed today at work(Honda) and it starts and runs fine but it's now ticking VERY badly. The gear is still set at 0 and it sound's like a rod is going to fly, and it was a very quiet engine before. What could be going wrong. Did anybody experience this with their car??? My engine is a D15b7 and it gear is a 5 screw design and it diden't slip. I did notice some white filing's of plastic around the gear forming around the gear so I figured it was just somthing rubbing making the noise but is still making noise after 30 min of driving.....What could be wrong??? Please help!!!!

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
Did you redo your valve leash?

every time you remove your cam and reinstall you are supposed to redo your valve leash
he installed a GEAR not a cam....

it could be that your timing is off (very probable)
or you have the wrong gear, and your timing is off...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went out and played around with the gear and I retard it 10 degrees and it the ticking got alot quieter but I had now power at all, now low of high end for some reason. So I advanced it 10 degrees and it was ticking again but not as bad as it was at zero and had alot more power. It pops at 5k every bit as loud as my buds vtec h22!!!! I sh*t you not. It's strange how the pitch of the intake changes so much!!. I might try to advance a little more to see what it does. The ticking is slowly going away bit by bit....I hope it will go away totally soon....I'll post back in a few with my results.

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
Well I went out and played around with the gear and I retard it 10 degrees and it the ticking got alot quieter but I had now power at all, now low of high end for some reason. So I advanced it 10 degrees and it was ticking again but not as bad as it was at zero and had alot more power. It pops at 5k every bit as loud as my buds vtec h22!!!! I sh*t you not. It's strange how the pitch of the intake changes so much!!. I might try to advance a little more to see what it does. The ticking is slowly going away bit by bit....I hope it will go away totally soon....I'll post back in a few with my results.
you need to verify the model number of the gear, and make sure it is for your application, then you need to line the gear and the crank pulley with the marks and make DOUBLE sure that they are correct and install you belt according to the manual, and be sure to check/adjust the tensioner per the manual procedure as well, then go playing with your timing...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I refer to vtec pop because of the instant sound crossover....I used the term poorly...the strange thing is my car doesn't have vtec..ever since I installed my cold air intake it changed pitch agressivily around 5000rpm it just does it very loudly now. It only sounds like a vtec engine. Remember it's a D15b7. The ticking is now gone totally and I advanced it gear all the way but it took some of my low end a little but it sounds very mean now I think the best setting is advancing by 7 marks not the full 10 marked on the gear(each mark is 2 degrees at the crank). 5 marks work quite nice but 7 is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
766 Posts
you need to verify the model number of the gear, and make sure it is for your application, then you need to line the gear and the crank pulley with the marks and make DOUBLE sure that they are correct and install you belt according to the manual, and be sure to check/adjust the tensioner per the manual procedure as well, then go playing with your timing...
He needs to time it from the pin hole in the cam itself, not the gear. That way if the gear is marked or installed wrong, he'll know. Always time by the cam and not the gear

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
He needs to time it from the pin hole in the cam itself, not the gear. That way if the gear is marked or installed wrong, he'll know. Always time by the cam and not the gear
ahh, good to know...

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
whats the point in installing a cam gear without having a cam... your just causing more problems then what you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts