Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey, you know what you should do? Check the timing belt.........

LOL, just thought I'd also join the band wagon

But seriously, if the tensioner let off and it slipped immediately while cranking you'd have this problem. I had a tensioner bolt actually break off one time. The actual block broke. You likely don't have that issue, but pull the upper timing cover and line it up to see.
I’ll check valve lash since the covers alreadyoff and check valve timing next. Gotta grab my electric impact from work today too.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Just eyeballing the lash adjustment studs, looks like plenty of them are pretty tight. I have NOT seen enough sohc D heads to pinpoint off visual, but just from the 25-30 heads Ive owned or worked on over the years, I have only ever seen a couple studs one thread away from flush.

Try this for starters. wiggle all arms, and with the loose ones not under tension, crack the nuts loose, and back off the stud half a turn. retighten. Rotate engine/cam over until you can get to all of them.

I think with cyl 1 at TDC, you can do cyl 1 all 4, exhaust cyl 3 and intake cyl 4. Definitely check as you go, my memory does NOT serve as a repalcement for a tech manual!!

Remember, when lash is too loose, it is increasing elastic compression, reducing camshaft duration, and eventually could lead to damage at higher rpms. But if this gets the engine started up, we are getting somewhere!!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts