Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
do you have any notes on where you set the original ring gaps? If you simply tossed new rings onto the pistons, likely you did some damage.

Drain the oil and see if you find any silver bits or chunks.

Pop the spark plugs out, spray a bunch of carb cleaner down the hole, and see if it actually puddles up, or if it drains right into the oil pan. Good sign if there is anything trying to seal or not.

You should also check and verify mechanical timing.

Dont second guess anything. Just treat it like it is brand new to you, and you need to check everything.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
134k miles is low.

My bet was the original issue was actually topend related, such as bad valve gudies and stem seals.

Unless you confirmed via a compression test with the engine warm.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Just eyeballing the lash adjustment studs, looks like plenty of them are pretty tight. I have NOT seen enough sohc D heads to pinpoint off visual, but just from the 25-30 heads Ive owned or worked on over the years, I have only ever seen a couple studs one thread away from flush.

Try this for starters. wiggle all arms, and with the loose ones not under tension, crack the nuts loose, and back off the stud half a turn. retighten. Rotate engine/cam over until you can get to all of them.

I think with cyl 1 at TDC, you can do cyl 1 all 4, exhaust cyl 3 and intake cyl 4. Definitely check as you go, my memory does NOT serve as a repalcement for a tech manual!!

Remember, when lash is too loose, it is increasing elastic compression, reducing camshaft duration, and eventually could lead to damage at higher rpms. But if this gets the engine started up, we are getting somewhere!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts