Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an extreme noob in the engine swapping department. If you guys could please help me out here, i have a couple questions about this swap. I've searched for the past 30minutes, and just didnt find exactly what i was looking for.

I have a 92 EG and im looking to swap a d16y8 from a 97 civic ex. My questions are rather simple, so please forgive me if i overlooked the answer in my searching...

My car has a d15b in it. Is it obd0, obd1, or obd2? OR, where can i find this information? It has to be on the car somewhere?

What is the d16y8? Is it obd0, obd1, or obd2?

If they are the same, then all i need is the ecu right?

If they are different, what do i need? The ecu, wiring harness, and some sort of adapter? No adapter?

Last one...
What is obd0, obd1, or obd2? Are they wiring harnesses?

If there is a site, or post i can read to get asll this information, that is fine. Just point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Keep the car OBD1. Use your wiring harness (add VTEC wires if you don't have them). You need OBD1 injectors, alternator, and dist. Run a chipped P28 (or a VTEC converted ECU, if your EG doesn't already have VTEC).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure my car doesnt have vtec. How can i find out for sure?

The d16y8 is vtec right? What are these vtec wires you speak of? (searching now)

The OBD1 injectors, alternator, and dist, are stuff i already have since my car is obd1 right? My harness will hook right into the d16?

All i really need then is the engine, and to add vtec wires if i dont have them. Will the ecu out of the 97 ex work?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Keep the car OBD1. Use your wiring harness (add VTEC wires if you don't have them). You need OBD1 injectors, alternator, and dist. Run a chipped P28 (or a VTEC converted ECU, if your EG doesn't already have VTEC).
ok, disregarding the vtec stuff for now as i'll wory about that once i get teh car running, and on the road. Unless its neccesary while putting the engine in.

So i just need the engine, and the ecu. Everything else from my d15 will bolt on the d16? Innjectors, alt, and distributor? Then once that is all bolted on, i swao the d16 ecu into the place of mine, and then everything will plug up from there? No extra harness', or adapters needed?

What abnout the y8 intake from the d16? i will use that with the injectors from my intake? Can someone elaborate on that?

I am picking the engine up at the end of feb, and really need to know everything before i go 300 miles to get it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
this has been done 100000000million times; you need to search.

cliffs; you need an obd1 ecu (chipped, with a y8 map), a obd1 dizzy (i think you can just put on obd1 plugs), obd1 alt, and you can use obd1/2 MPFI injectors

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im doing a y7 minime at the moment. I have a chipped p30 ready to go on. Do i need to change anything or just install p30 with conversion harness and go?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Ok to make this easier to understand engines are all neutral cars are either obd1 obd2a or obd2b. Sensors, harnesses, ecus, distributors, alternators, manifolds, are either obd1 or obd2a or obd2b.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You can use any engine in any car as long as you match up a useable harness ecu and above mentioned item. Yes they do make adapters or "jumpers" for ecu and dizzys. Usually if you are swapping an engine you would just take everything off the old one and onto the new one

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts