Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, can someone explain to me what this is and how it works and how its done? im getting a little confused on how your supposed to do this and why its done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey, can someone explain to me what this is and how it works and how its done? im getting a little confused on how your supposed to do this and why its done.
You purchase plastigage at an auto parts store. It comes in a few sizes depending on the clearances you are measuring. If you take your service manual, the parts person will help you find the right size to purchase. The cost is minimal. Plastigage is an impregnated string that squishes when you insert it between the journal and bearing shell and torque the bolts down. The width that it squishes to is measured against a scale on the package to determine your exact clearance. Once you find this value, you can determine how much oversize will be required to bring the clearance back to that required by your manual. To use plastigage, cut a strip wide enough to go across the journal, reassemble the shell and cap with the strip placed across the journal, torque the bolts, and disassemble. You can then measure the surfaces against the package that the plastigage came in. Never turn the crank during this process.

·
Registered
335 Posts
personaly ive never used it and dont like it, i have 100% trust in my machinist. How plastigauging works is u lay down a strip of the material thats a set since asemble ure rod on the crankshaft torque it down like normal. once that is done unbolt the od from the crankshaft. grab the "squish" chart that came with it. hold it next to the squished plastigauge and when u find the two that match up that will tell u ure bearing size.

hope that helps. now the reason i dont like it is for this reason only. if ure crankshaft is out of round or ure rod end is out of round it will give u a false reading. its personaly up to you

·
Registered
335 Posts
dam beat me to it man^^^ lol as long as hes helped out thats all that matters

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have read this article and it is exactly how it goes just dont shoot me cause it's on a B series.
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/bearings/bearings.php
Also the reason that you plastiguage is because it's clearence's and restrictions in the engine that provide oil pressure not the oil pump it is simply a fluid transfer device. Bearing clearence's are a big part of oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha do you put the plastigauge in the rod journal without a bearing in there? this is used to find what size bearing right?

also thanks for the quick replys and help greatly apreciated!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
yes you have to have the bearing in the rod and cap to ensure it is properly sized to the journal.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how do you know what bearing to put in there? the old one? on my last engine build i just used "green" or standards, on my next build should i get these and use that on the plastigauge to get proper bearing size?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
how do you know what bearing to put in there? the old one? on my last engine build i just used "green" or standards, on my next build should i get these and use that on the plastigauge to get proper bearing size?
you plastigauge it with the new bearing, so that there is no wear.

based on the readings you get, you either buy looser or tighter bearings to get you within spec

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
you will use a good bearing on both sides. you will need to use a micrometer to see what size the bearing is. then you add your plastigage reading, then subtract the clearance in your service manual. this is your number and the thickness of the bearing you need. there are charts floating around that convert this number to colors so you can get the right bearings at honda.

edit: damn you Ryan!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts