Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys, got another DIY on some repair work at my job.

I know a lot of you guys might be picking up used bumpers, which usually have some dents, scrapes, scratches, and all sorts of damage. It's much harder to find a clean one nowadays, but I'm a fan of used OEM parts for their fitment and materials.

This bumper was hit right where the bumper splits in two (it's a two piece bumper) and had gouges in it as well as a pretty sizable dent.

Here's a gouge on the bottom portion

And a couple pictures of the dent and scrapes on the upper portion

First thing's first, let's get that dent out.

I used a heat gun on the back of the bumper right where the damage was. The trick is to heat it up to the point where the bumper becomes very flexible, but not too hot or the plastic starts to melt. You'll see this as the plastic gets darker and shinier when it's too hot.

I didn't get a picture of this because it's pretty self explanatory, but what I did was take the back side of a screwdriver (preferably plastic) and I worked the dent out until the dent was pretty much gone.

This is once I got the dent worked out. It might take a couple heating processes and massaging of the plastic

Once you get the dent out, let that cool down for the next step.

I usually start out sanding a bumper with 180 grit on my DA

Keep the DA nice and flat, don't use the edge or you can actually do worse damage to the bumper and your repair won't be as straight.

This is during sanding, notice the scrapes starting to disappear as I level the plastic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the plastic once I got it nice and smooth with no scrapes left

Now sometimes I like to use a product called EZ-Sand. It's a flexible plastic filler that sands kinda like filler. Since this was at work, I like to make things perfect and the plastic wasn't quite where I wanted it.

First, spray the bumper with a light quick coat of adhesion promoter to help the EZ-Sand stick

Here's the EZ-Sand. It's a two part tube and needs a dual plunger gun to dispense it

It spreads a little harder than a filler, but it levels out real smooth. Here's a couple pictures of once it's applied

Once that's dried, you can block this stuff out with a sanding block and 180 grit. Like I said, it sands really well and it blocks out just like filler on a dent on sheet metal.

After all your filler is blocked to perfection, I take a block with 320 to sand out the 180 scratches. Once you're done sanding, it should look like this

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And now you're ready for primer and paint! I got a couple of pictures of this bumper before I put it back on the car so you can see what the repair looks like

And that's it! Let me know if you have any questions :)

·
Registered
'95 Civic
20 Posts
Great post man!!! I am hoping I can repair my rear bumper. I do believe my front bumper is screwed :hammer:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good how to, may have to use this on a few spots on my front bumper cover. OEM CRX parts are tough to find around here.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
YEaa.. how much is the dual plunger for that 3M stuff.

If I had body shop connections,those plungers are all over the place. But for the backyard DIY'er spending that much for a plunger and the 3M e-z sand (let alone trying to find it) seems out of reach.

Im mean, great DIY IF you have the DA sander and all the pro tools to do the job right.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I think it is interesting to see how pros do vs us, some times it is out of reach but other times it gives me ideas on how to approach a body shop or the work my self.

Plus it is fun to watch any one with a skill fix something that some one else cannot.

Lots of win in this one. Nice DIY for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YEaa.. how much is the dual plunger for that 3M stuff.

If I had body shop connections,those plungers are all over the place. But for the backyard DIY'er spending that much for a plunger and the 3M e-z sand (let alone trying to find it) seems out of reach.

Im mean, great DIY IF you have the DA sander and all the pro tools to do the job right.
Yeah I know the EZ sand is kind of expensive and all. You dont have to use it, if you work the bumper out good enough, 180 grit should be able to level the plastic near perfect. I fix a ton of bumpers with no ez sand and they come out great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you need something to fill with, but don't have ez sand, I'd say just a super thin coat of regular finishing glaze works. Modern ones are pretty flexible, and older Honda bumpers aren't as flimsy as new ones so you should be good.

Glad I could help LowFlyin'!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts