Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heresoon I should be picking up a 90 Civic Si, and nothing is wrong with it but I know after driving it I'm going want some more power out of it. I've searched but I really havnt found any definite answers for what I'm wondering.

The motor in the car is fine, so I'm in no rush to get a motor built and put it in the car.. and I don't feel like getting new mounts, shift linkage, etc.. so i'm just going to stick with a d-series. Now, what I'm wondering is what is the best d-series for boost? I'm not too worried about stock rod strengths because I'm going to end getting rods/pistons..

From what I've read the eagle rods/vitara pistons is a good combo. But I was wondering how well that works since the vitara pistons arn't forged. Are they reliable under ~15psi?

I'm just trying to make around 250whp, and hopefully have something that won't crap out on me all the time. I'm on a budget, but I'd rather spend the extra money to be sure its reasonably reliable. So tell me whats best when it comes to building these motors. I'm also wondering about what kind of headwork I need to get done.

All around, I'm just trying to build a reliable motor, for a daily driver, that'll be fine under ~15psi and hopefully make some decent numbers.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
stick with the motor thats in the car. you will generally yield the same results with any built 1.6

Vitaras have made 400+ and are still holding just fine to this day on a DD car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor in the car has 270,000 miles on it and I don't know if its good to boost. So I think I'd probably prefer just getting a fresh motor.

And I mean, you say just stick with the stock motor, but I'm worried about it crapping out on me. Like I said, I'm willing to spend the extra money to yield a more reliable solution.

And how about this?

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=15631&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Vitara horror stories? Thanks for your input though.. just trying to get some more clarification.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
The motor in the car has 270,000 miles on it and I don't know if its good to boost. So I think I'd probably prefer just getting a fresh motor.

And I mean, you say just stick with the stock motor, but I'm worried about it crapping out on me. Like I said, I'm willing to spend the extra money to yield a more reliable solution.

And how about this?

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=15631&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Vitara horror stories? Thanks for your input though.. just trying to get some more clarification.
you said the motor would be built...

the cylinders may or may not be in good condition. if they are rough, get them bored .5mm over and go with a set of nice forged pistons. motors can be rebuilt and be just as reliable as they were from the factory

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well.. thats the thing..

The motor that will end up going in the car will be built, but I need something to drive while the motor is in the build process.

That way I could have one motor in the car, build one on the side.. and whenever I get everything together I can swap it in a weekend.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Then buy a spare block and go from there.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
x2

build the block. guys in my area that tune hondas say the stock head is good for 600hp. they usually stick with B's though but still...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't really have a good starting point as of yet. I really can't decide what d-series is the best for a reliable boosted daily driver. I've found people say the z6 if its a stock block, but I havnt found any definite answers on what kind of block is the best when built.

I'm really just trying to figure out if I should go z6 or DOHC ZC..

Or maybe there's a better option?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Blocks don't matter excep for the D17Y7/8. Those are know to be problems when modified. Staying with an A6 would work because there's less work involved in swapping, and plenty of aftermarket support.

Swaping to a Z6 is about the same as going with another A6 except for the VTEC head and even more aftermarket parts. The downside is you have to replace a few items and it's prefered to convert to OBD-1 to make it worth the effort.

Going with a DOHC ZC isen't bad, they respond well to boost, but your limited in terms of parts avalible. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as staying with the A6.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
True, but it's not as likely as when you start trying to pust it like earlier motors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
theres a ton of options, to make a reliable turbo d series. kyle from va represent!

where at in va?
757, yup.

Blocks don't matter excep for the D17Y7/8. Those are know to be problems when modified. Staying with an A6 would work because there's less work involved in swapping, and plenty of aftermarket support.

Swaping to a Z6 is about the same as going with another A6 except for the VTEC head and even more aftermarket parts. The downside is you have to replace a few items and it's prefered to convert to OBD-1 to make it worth the effort.

Going with a DOHC ZC isen't bad, they respond well to boost, but your limited in terms of parts avalible. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as staying with the A6.
Mmmhmm, I was really thinking of going z6 but why is it preferred to convert the z6 to OBDI? I'm really not trying to go through the trouble of wiring up different stuff.. I want to just leave it OBD0.

And do you feel I can reliably make ~250whp on an A6?

I see all of the pro's and con's.. but if you had the choice between the three, what would your choice be?

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
its preferred to go obd1 with whatever you use due to tuning options...
and ANY 1.6 sohc will make what your looking for easily

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its preferred to go obd1 with whatever you use due to tuning options...
and ANY 1.6 sohc will make what your looking for easily
Ah, very true about the tuning options.. that might require a little extra work.

Man, what are the tuning options available for 0BD0 cars? All I can think of is s100..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might be settled on a y8.. with Vitara pistons, Hastings rings, wrist pins/clips, main engine bearings (KING), rod bearings (KING), metal headgasket..

oh.. and some Eagles ;)

I'm just wondering, these rings are alright to use, correct? I don't know if I should go get some OEM rings.. and how about the KING rod bearings and main engine bearings? Is there a better choice? Same with the head gasket, should I go cometic?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, I'm actually pretty set on the Eagles to be honest.

I think I'm going with the y8, and I'm wondering if I should get a z6 head or can I probably make the power I want without a VTEC head.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Hmm, I'm actually pretty set on the Eagles to be honest.

I think I'm going with the y8, and I'm wondering if I should get a z6 head or can I probably make the power I want without a VTEC head.
d-series vtec is overrated. the heads have never been proven to flow better...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts