Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
00 accord v6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok can anyone tell me how i can drop my civic what are the tools needed such as jacks, wrenches, etc.etc.
or maybe theres a post somewhere i tried searching couldnt find it

·
Registered
Donkey
742 Posts
You will need at least two jacks (trolley type) two jackstands, a set of spring compressors, rattle gun, air compressor, lots of sockets, spanners, a breaker bar, torque wrench, impact sockets, the list goes on.........
you need a good supply of tools before you do anything. so just go to a mates workshop for this. or youll fuck sumthing and have to wait days to get shit.

·
Registered
00 accord v6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys it really helped alot, i am planning to drop the car this weekend i'll post up some pictures after its complete.....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Do you need a spring compressor tool to remove the stock springs? I thought that if you loosen the shock from the bottom, then the whole shock will shoot down, due to the spring load???

·
Registered
00 accord v6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i finished the drop it took me 4 hours i had some help from my buddys .. i'll post up some pics once i get my digi back...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
mark7901 said:
Do you need a spring compressor tool to remove the stock springs? I thought that if you loosen the shock from the bottom, then the whole shock will shoot down, due to the spring load???
Not necessarily. I lowered my rex in my garage with my bro, bought a set of spring compressors and never used them. The amount of spring load isnt that great, it doesnt shoot across the room or anything. Just kind of pops off. Nothing to worry about.

If you mean, will the spring pop out of the car itself when you undo the bottom strut mount, no. the strut/spring combo are one piece. you can take the whole strut out of your car and the spring will still be on it. there is a top plate that bolts on the strut that keeps the spring attatched.

BTW the springs I put on were H&R Sport springs, took my bro and i a little over 2 hours. but it was just springs, no aftermarket struts....yet

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yea its not necessary on all Civics, CRXs, prelude and accords!!!

They barly pop off!! and it saves time and money. If your aftermarket springs aren't much of a drop you may need a spring compressor to pull them down a little, we had to do that on my friends prelude with tein stechs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
here is a getho as all hell way to pop your springs... take two spare tires and rims... put the strut in between then kinda like this.... 0-////=0... yeah it looks like crap... losten up the spring wiht a rattle gun.... or losten it all up thes if the spring does pop... than the tires take the abuse... not your body... and it workls ive done it a few times...

·
Registered
Honda civic
107 Posts
front shock are really compress.

I bolted the shock to a fence and unbolt it. It was really powerful, sound like a gun shot. The spring went a few meter even if it was ground oriented.
i lost the top bolt doing that.

I do not recommand this method

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Did mine about two weeks ago. Sit on your @ss, stretch your legs out to about 1 shock length away from the wall. Then put the shock between your feet and the wall. Slowly unscrew the top nut, then it will go about an inch or so.....putting lowering springs on is easy. Mine where very non aggressive drop (about 1.5 inches) and all I did was push down a little and the thread popup up enough for me to get the bolt on. I think I used 12mm through 17, or 18mm socket wrench. Took a PC Technican about 6 hours to replace all four shocks and springs. Not bad for the first time, my legs hurt the next day though, lol. No spring compressor needed.

·
Registered
Donkey
742 Posts
Lowering a car is a piece of piss with the right tools. Spring compressors are overrated with the small springs on a civic standard coilover. Get a rattle gun, undo the top strutbolt and it pops. NOT KABOOOM but like half an inch or somthing.

It took me and a mate working on different sides at the same time, like 20 mins to do the whole car. i guess it helps that we know what we are doing. Air tools are a must if you want it done this quickly though. Lowered springs have more bind so its a little harder to put these on but if you replace the strutcap, get a mate to push it down as you put on the strutbolt then its easy.

Any questions, post em

1 - 17 of 17 Posts