Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my plan for the next few months, want to make ~220whp. Budget is $3000

D16Z6 (comes in the car)
$300 - Tear-Down, Cleaning, Gasket Replacement, Make-it-Pretty, etc.
$650 - Precision Turbo (T3)
$250 - JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler
$200 - I/C Tubing
$200 - 2.5" Exhaust
$200 - tial wastegate
$250 - manifold (any reccomendations?)
$160 - Greddy BOV
$200 - Misc Couplings, Lines, etc.
$600 - Hondata s200 w/boost and chipped p28

thats $3010. Its a hair over, but thats ok.

anyone have any insight to this setup, have i forgoten anything?

do i need to worry about fuel management or clutch?

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
For that price, you could get the 92-95 edelbrock kit when it is available. NEways, looks like a good start and you are goin to have to shop around and look for deals to make it worth the effort (i.e. save more money).

You will need to add injectors into the mix. 440cc DSM injectors can be found for cheap on ebay. Might also want to send them to rc engineering to be cleaned/balanced before using them. I'd also recommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, cam gear and fuel pressure gauge.

As for what you have listed, you should be able to get all of your i/c piping for < $100. www.jcwhitney.com sells mandrel bent piping in different sizes/shapes.

For manifold, take a look at www.lovefab.com. The 'shorty' will fit the bill.

Unless you are shooting for high boost, consider a turbo with an internal wastegate. Fewer issues with plumbing (gotta dump that external wastegate somewhere), and cheaper. check www.cheapturbos.com and www.majesticturbo.com (sells remanufactured turbos).

You have 2.5" exhaust listed. Is that the exhaust or the downpipe? I doubt that you will be able to get both for that price unless you have a serious hoook-up.

I wouldn't bother with the 2mm head gasket, but I put in a new stock headgasket if it hasn't been changed recently.

You might want to get the rings replaced when you tear it down. Good strong ring lands are a turbos friend :)

The hondata should handle the fuel management just find along with the other items that I mentioned, and yes, you will need a new clutch. The exedy organic racing clutch would be a good choice and isn't terribly expensive. You can sometimes find them for around $200. I'm not talkin about that oem replacement that every likes to buy and complain about on ebay for $100.

Shop around some more. You can probably get it all for a little over $2k if you find some deals.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
redteg87 said:
john said:
$250 - manifold (any reccomendations?)
Save $200 and use a Civic HF manifold w/ adapter plate.
Or Steve on Homemadeturbo.com sells new log styles for $175 shipped. I got mine yesterday and i must say, top notch work.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah check the For Sale section on HMT. Steve "Stealthmode" sells awsome oil lines kits for $80 and he sells logs manifolds for $175 and they come with a lifetime warranty against cracking. I have a johnnyracecar intercooler, but if I had to get one now I would get a "custom coach" intercooler on HMT (they also sell nice mandrel bends for IC piping). They look a little nicer and they are thicker and not as long. Also johnnyracecar intercoolers are more like $200 not $250. You can get remanufactured T3 turbos that look brand new for a little over $300 from MJM auto aports on ebay (their ebay handle is "down2turbo"). Instead of hondata I would check out uberdata at http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/ I am actually selling my hondata right now so I can run uberdata.

Check a few of my other posts because I listed my setup and I have spent a little over $900 so far and my kit will easily support your goals. If I decided to spend up to $3,000 on my kit I could also include rods/pistons and boost 15 psi or a little more with a good tune.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kommon_sense said:
Got any pics? How do the welds look? What is it made from? Stainless or mild steel? I'd like to see how this compares to the shorty on www.lovefab.com . Does your manifold allow you to retain power steering and AC?
The welds are all good, Mild steel, you can keep a/c and ps. No pics of mine but steve has then in the for sale thread at HMT.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so anyone wanna revise a list that would be more accurate and elimate the things i dont need and the things i forgot (clutch, injectors)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
straight up.. what would be faster?

dseries turbo.
or
ls turbo.

using 3,000 to build it up.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
even considering i'd have a grand less to work with because of the ocst of the engine?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kommon_sense said:
you said using 3k to build it up. if the budget is 3k to build and turbo, then swap is really out of the question. you were given a number of links and pointers. Time to go do some homework and see whats out there, and whats in your budget.
well, how unfeasable is it to swap for 1000 and then use 2000 to pay for the turbo setup, uberdata, exhaust, etc.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the hf manifold is a junkhyard setup. WHY woudl you even sugfgest used old parts if hes posting info on serous turbo stuff like precision turbos and such? I jsut don;t understnd where posting the HF stuff is going to help him. it's not capable of flowing god enough to support the orecision turbo muck more than 8-9 lbs of boost. it's worse flow charastics than a cheap log stype manifiold.

john, obvesouly your lookign for the best band for your $. so lets break it down, tear downa nd gaskets are more than $300. you also have the timming belt that should be replaced if it has more than 35k on it only because your clsoe to the 60k might as well do it right the first time) Honestly I think you should look into a prefabed kti and stay away from custom kits. if your not installing better rod and pistons, what's the point in having a turbo that can do 20 lbs and 400 wheel power if the motor can't do but 14 lbs and 250-260 wheel power in stocker forum? Greddy and some other manufacturers make decent kits. I know revhard has nice kit as well. Your stock motor as a daily driver has the ability to handle up to 250 wheel power. trust me that's a lot more than you think on a civic. later if you decide to build your motor, then you can just sell the bolt on kit and use the $ to invest in a custom setup. the bolt and go kits can be installed in a day or less in most cases. also get a kit that HAS some type of electronics included. the drag kits do not so I don't recommend them. they "work" but not as well as a kit with electronics in my opinion, and if you decide to upgrade stuff later, you'll end up spending more than you had to if you had gotten a kit with electronics in the first place.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oscarmayer said:
john, obvesouly your lookign for the best band for your $. so lets break it down, tear downa nd gaskets are more than $300. you also have the timming belt that should be replaced if it has more than 35k on it only because your clsoe to the 60k might as well do it right the first time) Honestly I think you should look into a prefabed kti and stay away from custom kits. if your not installing better rod and pistons, what's the point in having a turbo that can do 20 lbs and 400 wheel power if the motor can't do but 14 lbs and 250-260 wheel power in stocker forum? Greddy and some other manufacturers make decent kits. I know revhard has nice kit as well. Your stock motor as a daily driver has the ability to handle up to 250 wheel power. trust me that's a lot more than you think on a civic. later if you decide to build your motor, then you can just sell the bolt on kit and use the $ to invest in a custom setup. the bolt and go kits can be installed in a day or less in most cases. also get a kit that HAS some type of electronics included. the drag kits do not so I don't recommend them. they "work" but not as well as a kit with electronics in my opinion, and if you decide to upgrade stuff later, you'll end up spending more than you had to if you had gotten a kit with electronics in the first place.
oscarmayer aka "old school" he has $3,000 and that is plenty of money to build a sweet custom turbo kit and then some. If he does his research it won't be a very difficult project. The best bang for your buck would be a custom turbo kit... hands down. A greddy kit is expensive, comes with crappy fuel management, and isn't very upgradable. You can spend less money and end up with a better kit by going custom, so I see no reason not to.

You said... "what's the point in having a turbo that can do 20 lbs and 400 wheel power" ...because with the extra money he saved he could buy pistons and rods. Also what "electronics" are you talking about that come with these kits? Whatever they are I am sure they are over priced and not that great.

-the 4th grade internet warrior :wink:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok.. i agree on a custom kit + uberdata.

i need to relist all this stuff.. sigh. so much work ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oscarmayer said:
the hf manifold is a junkhyard setup. WHY woudl you even sugfgest used old parts if hes posting info on serous turbo stuff like precision turbos and such? I jsut don;t understnd where posting the HF stuff is going to help him. it's not capable of flowing god enough to support the orecision turbo muck more than 8-9 lbs of boost. it's worse flow charastics than a cheap log stype manifiold.
Hi. I am runing the HF manifold and it is flowing plenty well for my setup and assume it will support his as well. Do you have some flow charts to show otherwise?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts