Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got off the phone with slow boy racing, i am having them build me a custom bastard 20g turbo ( a 20 g compressor in a big 16 g housing ) i am having the waste gate flapper upgraded and ported as well as every other part of the housing that can be ported for some sort of gain,i will be using the td05 turbine for nice fast spool, i am having them port me out a new gen 2 o2 housing as well. they gave me a good deal, turbo, port work, o2 housing , port work, new o2 housing bolts, new gaskets and shipping was only 1227.48 with sales tax :) with all this it should flow close to 150 cfm more then my big 16g does now or around 700 cfm.this puts it in the same CFM category as a Garrett GT3071R for less cost ;) i am looking to hit 350 whp , my tune appointment isn't until may 21 so we have a few weeks until i will know for sure.

·
Registered
732 Posts
thats sickkk but 1227 is still i alot i think

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I would have skipped the 2G O2 housing for at least an EVOIII if not a tubular one. For that matter for $1200 I would have just sent the 16G you have off to be upgraded.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats sickkk but 1227 is still i alot i think
not really a Garrett GT3071R retails for 1300.00 , and this will be a genuine mitsubishi turbo, so i will have years and years of trouble free use. as apposed to getting a ching chang meow turbo for less money that may or may not last a year. to me you get what you pay for , i would rather save up my pennys for 6 months to get a good turbo then grab a cheap one. i dont mind spending my money what i mind is wasting my money ;)

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would have skipped the 2G O2 housing for at least an EVOIII if not a tubular one. For that matter for $1200 I would have just sent the 16G you have off to be upgraded.
no go, a evo housing is angled wrong :( already compared it, and 99% of the tubular ones are angled after that, i called all the top name dsm shops and couldn't find any tubular ones that are angled like the gen 2 , besides after porting the cast gen 2 housing will flow as good as the evo version and even with port cost still be cheaper then a good tubular one :) the entire reason i am going this route is a do not want to redo any of my plumbing or pipes, this turbo will be a direct bolt in replacement for my big 16 g :)

cant send my turbo off to be upgraded i race the car every weekend and am in the points chase. i will just sell my big 16g and my 450 injectors and recoup some of the investment. my big 16 g will be up for sale the day i get back from my retune :) and yes its still cherry, it has 0 shaft play.

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Wait, you are making 300HP on an internal wastegate? If so that is pretty sweet. Can't wait to see what it'll do once you get your new turbo.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
so what was the point of the thread?

kidding. that price is not that bad considering its flow. i am looking at a gt35, so you can see how your price is not that much. :cry:

btw: your welcome ;), glad to see at least one person gave my advise some thought...

·
Registered
732 Posts
899 plus tax for a sc61r hmmm maybe ill get one of those.

good luck with your build keep us all updated

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait, you are making 300HP on an internal wastegate? If so that is pretty sweet. Can't wait to see what it'll do once you get your new turbo.
yeah, its all on a bone stock big 16g and its factory waste gate :) i do have a electronic boost controller though. this big 16 g will make some one a hell of a turbo when i sell it. i have been nothing but pleased with it. its just time to move onto a bit more power and quicker ET's

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
no go, a evo housing is angled wrong :( already compared it, and 99% of the tubular ones are angled after that, i called all the top name dsm shops and couldn't find any tubular ones that are angled like the gen 2 , besides after porting the cast gen 2 housing will flow as good as the evo version and even with port cost still be cheaper then a good tubular one :) the entire reason i am going this route is a do not want to redo any of my plumbing or pipes, this turbo will be a direct bolt in replacement for my big 16 g :)
The EVOIII is slightly differant, but usually you can pull the pipe in place to make it mount. I actually ported a 2g O2 housing out to an EVOIII. There's a half inch differance between them on both ends. Just porting a 2G to stock gaskets isen't going to flow as well as an EVO III after 15 minutes with a flap wheel to just clean the casting.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what was the point of the thread?

kidding. that price is not that bad considering its flow. i am looking at a gt35, so you can see how your price is not that much. :cry:

btw: your welcome ;), glad to see at least one person gave my advise some thought...
yeah if you had not told me that there was such a thing as a bastard 20 g i would still be going with my other plan of using a souped up 18g, this turbo is going to be way better then any souped up 18g . slow boy seems to know their stuff, and thats why when they told me they could make the gen 2 o2 housing flow like a tubular one i figured why not, it seemed to be my only choice since i did not want to redo my pipes.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
11,969 Posts
good deal. cant wait to see the new vidz of you spankin ass with that monster on your car.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The EVOIII is slightly differant, but usually you can pull the pipe in place to make it mount. I actually ported a 2g O2 housing out to an EVOIII. There's a half inch differance between them on both ends. Just porting a 2G to stock gaskets isen't going to flow as well as an EVO III after 15 minutes with a flap wheel to just clean the casting.
that must be why he said they would use a gen 2 housing, the gen 1 didnt have enough meat to port it large enough. i have a gen 2 housing on my car now and i can see its got a ton of meat to it, they are going to actually port it out to 2.5 inches, not just clean it up with a flapper. i made sure i was very clear on that with them, i absolutely wanted it to flow as well as a evo 3 and he said no problem. the way i look at it, im making 300 whp with the stock 1.8 inch outlet, even if they only hit 2.4 its still going to be a huge gain.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
:werd:

slowboy gets a big :TU: from me when it comes to making a really bad ass 20g. i would not hesitate to take the ported gen2 o2 housing over the tubular or evo3, if slow boy said they can make the gen2 o2 housings flow match that of a tubular.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:werd:

slowboy gets a big :TU: from me when it comes to making a really bad ass 20g. i would not hesitate to take the ported gen2 o2 housing over the tubular or evo3, if slow boy said they can make the gen2 o2 housings flow match that of a tubular.
i think they probably thought i was doubting them, i asked them if it was really possible almost every time i called them over the last few weeks. before i make a big purchase like this i like to research and call a few times to make sure the info they give me is the same each time i call. the last change i added on was i am also having the turbos outlet ported, the outlet is pretty scrawny on a big 16 g with allot of meat for some port work. while this wont increase the cfm the turbine is capable of making it will lower the restriction for it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
that must be why he said they would use a gen 2 housing, the gen 1 didnt have enough meat to port it large enough. i have a gen 2 housing on my car now and i can see its got a ton of meat to it, they are going to actually port it out to 2.5 inches, not just clean it up with a flapper. i made sure i was very clear on that with them, i absolutely wanted it to flow as well as a evo 3 and he said no problem. the way i look at it, im making 300 whp with the stock 1.8 inch outlet, even if they only hit 2.4 its still going to be a huge gain.
As long as there going to 2.5" that works, I know there's plenty of places that only go to 2.25" and that's it. The 1G your not going over 2.25" or it's going to be really thin if your not going through the side somewhere. The 2G will go to 2.5" but that's probebly the limit. I actually just grabbed the 2 I have here to measure just to be sure. Either way it's going to be a huge gain over stock.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i think they probably thought i was doubting them, i asked them if it was really possible almost every time i called them over the last few weeks. before i make a big purchase like this i like to research and call a few times to make sure the info they give me is the same each time i call. the last change i added on was i am also having the turbos outlet ported, the outlet is pretty scrawny on a big 16 g with allot of meat for some port work. while this wont increase the cfm the turbine is capable of making it will lower the restriction for it.
yeah, i did a lot of searching for the best street strip mitsu turbo when i was thinking about building one. once i found out which turbo was the "best", i started looking at shops. slowboy came up a lot, and i am not kidding they came up a lot. there was another shop that has an even better 20g, but for the price you could step up to a double BB gt series turbo for less. i forgot the shops name, but they were definatly not worth it. and to top it off, slowboy will do it all for you and sell you all the parts needed for the upgrade. the shop i was looking at only did the work on the turbo. i will look when i get home for the other shops name if someone is intrested..... i am pretty sure i still have the site.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As long as there going to 2.5" that works, I know there's plenty of places that only go to 2.25" and that's it. The 1G your not going over 2.25" or it's going to be really thin if your not going through the side somewhere. The 2G will go to 2.5" but that's probebly the limit. I actually just grabbed the 2 I have here to measure just to be sure. Either way it's going to be a huge gain over stock.
your right about that, the stock is so small i couldn't believe my eyes. heck even 2.25 is a huge gain in flow over the stock. and horse power gain aside it will help allot with boost creep issues.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
your right about that, the stock is so small i couldn't believe my eyes. heck even 2.25 is a huge gain in flow over the stock. and horse power gain aside it will help allot with boost creep issues.
I did these a few years ago, and untill I pulled up pictures of stock housings i had forgotten how small they were when I started. I just remember how much time it took to get them where they are and Looking at them now I still have work to do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts