Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up ladies and gents, I'm in the middle of building my engine and have come across a few problems. The major hold back now would be the pistons. The ones in my engine are worn out, I would prefer to stay at stock compression I think, but I don't know about the qaulity of aftermarker pistons. I would like to go .010 or .020 over bore.

Stock honda replacements are 75 Canadian a piece, but for that money I may as well buy aftermarket ones that will stand up to boost better right? Also I have the Greddy kit coming for my car and was wondering how changing my compression will affect this. Can I up my boost with the Greddy Blue Box or is that asking for trouble. I will not be putting a proper tune on this car till next year. So my questions are

Where should I buy pistons from?
Should I put rods in while I'm at it?
If so where should i buy the rods?
Can I Up Compression without ruining the engine?
Or should I lower my compression?
Or should I just sit back and cry because I can't afford this build?

-TAG

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
honestly if you are boosting and rebuilding your engine as well, id just go forged internals. get a set of Tuner Toys rods, might want to contact them and see if they will ship to Canada. im sure they will, they are really nice people to work with.
second, get a set of 9:1 Forged pistons. it isnt dropping your compression much, so i dont think that you will notice lack of bottom end. if you are worried about it, compensate with a thinner cometic head gasket to bump it up a little bit. as for pistons, the best place i have found to buy them is through www.jegs.com look for the SRP pistons. they are $344 before shipping and without rings. i havent found anyone even close to that price ANYWHERE!! here is a link http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=24481 and they have a flat rate of $10 shipping at least in the US. contact them about shipping costs as well. you can get Hastings rings for about $50 shipped so that still leaves you under $400 for your pistons :TU:

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I

Can I run the 10.5:1 pistons, and not run into trouble with the blue box and stock rods, or is that not a good idea?

-TAG

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah

kinda what I was thinking too, 9.1 :1 it is. What about them Vitara's will dropping my compression down to 8.5:1 make a major difference in power since I"m only running a small turbo?

-TAG

·
Registered
258 Posts
We will ship to Canada via Fedex, including Connecting Rods.

D-Series H-Beam rods at TT

Also, we are building an A6/Y8/Vitara/MiniMe motor right now. CR ends up at more like 8.25:1 with the Vitaras. This is getting very low, almost to the point where off-boost HP number will be down from where they could be.

You can use some of the online calculators to check the CR if you want to research this more. Here is a good one - Zeal CR Calculator He even has Vitara's listed in the choices.

Craig

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
2,452 Posts
But if he has a Z6 motor(asuming it by his user name) then the Vitaras will be in the 8.5:1 and if he uses a Y8 2 layer HG it will be up around 8.7:1..

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
TunerToys said:
We will ship to Canada via Fedex, including Connecting Rods.

D-Series H-Beam rods at TT

Also, we are building an A6/Y8/Vitara/MiniMe motor right now. CR ends up at more like 8.25:1 with the Vitaras. This is getting very low, almost to the point where off-boost HP number will be down from where they could be.

You can use some of the online calculators to check the CR if you want to research this more. Here is a good one - Zeal CR Calculator He even has Vitara's listed in the choices.

Craig
Is that sight correct on its pistons calculations?? Because SOlblu's Comp calc shows "Vitaras" @ -12cc and 30mm compression height as where Zealautoworks shows -8cc and 28mm compression height which is a big difference.. Can someone tell which is right of 2 if any?? Because I need to get a accurate reading for comp. But being diff #'s its hard to tell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts