Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I am building my D15B VTEC and mechanic said I need to bore the cylinder and use an over sized piston or use a sleeve and use my own pistons!

What should I do? Which one is better? Do I need to buy over sized pistons or over sized rings can work also? If I have to buy over sized pistons, what piston should I buy? There are two pistons available here one is original Honda which is made in japan, the other is from another Japanese company. Honda one is very expensive and dealer said quality is same. What should I do? Do I need to change con rod also?

Please help, it s very urgent.

Thanks.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
This is a common issue. After a while the cylinders ovalize and need to be rebored...
Depending on your power goals, I would just get new pitons 0.25 or 0.5mm larger.
Replacing cylinder liners is often very expensive...
Since you are in Malaysia, you might want to look into a used JDM motor for cheap instead of rebuilding... I understand that JDM parts in malaysia are much cheaper than they are here...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
if u have acces to replacement D15b pistons then that would be fine,

if its a japanese brand, my take it myt be NPR, which would be fine,

probably gona be cheaper for u to get the oversize pistons and have ur sleeves honed etc, u can use ur old rods btw,

on that note, if u can get d15b pistons , im sure alot wud be interested in em'

HtH

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if u have acces to replacement D15b pistons then that would be fine,

if its a japanese brand, my take it myt be NPR, which would be fine,

probably gona be cheaper for u to get the oversize pistons and have ur sleeves honed etc, u can use ur old rods btw,

on that note, if u can get d15b pistons , im sure alot wud be interested in em'

HtH
they honed the cylinders but one couldn't be fixed by honing so he said it has to be bored.

do you mean that i can get D15B pistons but one size bigger or do i have to get another engine pistons like D16? does D15B has bigger size? it cant be fixed by only buying bigger size rings?

i am a bit lost and tomorrow i need to go and buy and i dont want to buy something wrong!

thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a common issue. After a while the cylinders ovalize and need to be rebored...
Depending on your power goals, I would just get new pitons 0.25 or 0.5mm larger.
Replacing cylinder liners is often very expensive...
Since you are in Malaysia, you might want to look into a used JDM motor for cheap instead of rebuilding... I understand that JDM parts in malaysia are much cheaper than they are here...
he said he wants to bore around 1mm!! is it too much?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Call your Honda dealer and ask? Are you sure they are that expencive?
I would overbore 0.25mm on your engine (which leaves the posibility to take one more overbore before you must replace the block).

Get new 0.25mm OS pistons and rings, give them to your machine shop guy,
have him overbore the cylinders, fit the pistons onto your old rods, and smack it together.

Or, if getting a used engine in good condition is cheaper, do that.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
honda does not supply anything bigger than .5 OS

but replacement pistons do, better check on that,
nippon pistons have 1mm oversize,

if u can check the brand of the replacement pistons u mentioned that is still made in japan, u can check if they have 1mm OS ,

with in mind, boring the block to 1mm OS is gona be ok,
im sure thats gona help u out

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have bought a used engine and i am rebuilding that one. here they don't take care of used engines that much so inside was rusted while engine looked very low millage. here i am sending the photos of the parts i took out of the used engine. if you see anything wrong let me know.

are these scratches normal on the cam?

internals look oily or rusty! i don't know. but he said it s going to be clean.

is the con rod fine? i am buying new con rod bearings.

cylinder #3 has problem.

This is the cylinder that he said can not be fixed by honing. it looked rusted.

if i go .25 or .5 or 1 how my car performance will change?

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Suzuki Vitara pistons come in 1mm OS. They are low compression though.
Honda does not recommend boring more than 0.5mm as the sleeves will be too thin.
boring 1mm over is stupid unless that block's already been rebuilt or an error was made. It sounds like you got screwed...

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Vitaras will not work; they're higher compression height IIRC. Either get oversized stock D15B pistons(they should come in .25 and .50mm OS) or aftermarket.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. i bought Honda stock D15B 0.5mm over sized pistons and some Japanese rings which i forgot the brand. pistons for around 130 US$ and rings for 30 US$. Honda rings were 100 US$ and dealer said they are from same company but packed by Honda. so i just bought the other brand.

Thanks again for help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what i got:

Honda D15B 0.5mm over sized pistons

RIK rings

NDC con rod bearings

how r these?

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Also going bigger bore, weakens your block somewut, and the chance of boosting it even higher to obtain a higher WHP goal diminishes!

HAHA....also on a side note, i went to Honda Dealership to ask how much a new shortblock was......hahah they told me 3,200 Dollars....i pretty much laughed and walked away...useless info yes....but interesting to know how much a new Z6 block is....blah!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also going bigger bore, weakens your block somewut, and the chance of boosting it even higher to obtain a higher WHP goal diminishes!

HAHA....also on a side note, i went to Honda Dealership to ask how much a new shortblock was......hahah they told me 3,200 Dollars....i pretty much laughed and walked away...useless info yes....but interesting to know how much a new Z6 block is....blah!
i asked about a brand new D15B VTEC engine, they told me around 6000 US$!!! but imagine that! you get a brand new engine! unrelated to post too!

anyway i am not going for boost so no worries about that. and i only bored in spec so i don't think it is gonna make my block that weak!

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Hahaha, 6k for a new D15B. For that price I'd just swap in a K and have more power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts