Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on boosting more than 8 psi on my d16y8 after i sleeve. What pistons and rods would yall recommend to handle more?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a "perfect" or good c/r? Or how would I figure out what would be the best?

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
Perfect c/r, no

However some things to keep in mind, late spool, higher compression gives more low end power when not in boost. Good for daily driving around town and for traction when not in boost.

Lower compression allows you to run a bit more boost, and is ideal (in my ind) when you want instant boost.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
civic4ges said:
Perfect c/r, no

However some things to keep in mind, late spool, higher compression gives more low end power when not in boost. Good for daily driving around town and for traction when not in boost.

Lower compression allows you to run a bit more boost, and is ideal (in my ind) when you want instant boost.
id say comp should depend on what size turbo u will be running. if u are running a smal turbo like a 14b or 15g go with low compression as these turbos spool way quick.if u have a big turbo like a t3/t4 or bigger go with higher compression cus it will give u more low end tq and a fasterspool time. unless of course its a race motor then then u can run as high or low comp as u want with as much boost as u want cus then u dont need to worry about street driving or quick boosting

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how exactly does higher compression yeild a slower spool up, assuming all other conditions are constant?

Another, far more important aspect IMO, to consider would be the tuning window between high and low compression boosted setups. A lower comp has a much bigger fudge factor compared to a higher compression. Compressing the charge just that little bit more can increase the heat enough to cause preingition.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i have d16y8. what size turbo would u reccommend and what c/r? Thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definetely street...but it wont be no rinky dink d series...i plan on doing major build. At least 200 whp

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
civicrunner said:
Definetely street...but it wont be no rinky dink d series...i plan on doing major build. At least 200 whp
you dont need to build anything for 200hp. i would recommend a t3 ( either 42/48 or 60/48)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bailhatch said:
how exactly does higher compression yeild a slower spool up, assuming all other conditions are constant?
it doesnt. higher compression will yeild faster spool time

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right, I was confused about the wording of civic4ges' post. I thought he said high compression causes late spool. I just misread his first sentence. commas are screwy.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
right, I was confused about the wording of civic4ges' post. I thought he said high compression causes late spool. I just misread his first sentence. commas are screwy.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kyosoeg6 said:
civic4ges said:
Perfect c/r, no

id say comp should depend on what size turbo u will be running. if u are running a smal turbo like a 14b or 15g go with low compression as these turbos spool way quick.if u have a big turbo like a t3/t4 or bigger go with higher compression cus it will give u more low end tq and a fasterspool time. unless of course its a race motor then then u can run as high or low comp as u want with as much boost as u want cus then u dont need to worry about street driving or quick boosting
with anything above 10-12psi you want to run only a 9.5 or less compression setup. sure race cars run higher, but your not spending $12-15g on a engine and thus your not going to be running 12:1 ratio and 40+ lbs of boost either. keeping it to the street, i'ls recommend endyn rollerwave pistons with eagle rods. your looking at less that $1g for the setup that can handle more than you can throw at it. even as a full drag motor. Make sure you get the rods witht he big bolts not the little rod bolts. you'll have to notch your block for the larger ones, but it's well eorth the extra insurance on an FI app.

FYI, Endyn can have your block sleeved, and sell you the pistons and rods you need for your project at a good price. You can even get them to ahev all the "block" mahcing done and your pistons match to the block prior to shipping to you. If your sleeving the block, then go to a 78mm bore. the 3mm over stock puts you into a 1722-1740cc setup. and that's goign to allwo you to run much stronger than stocker bore. You'll ahev to get a headgasket from endyn as well, but trust me, in the end it will be greatly worth your efforts.

Spend your $ wisley and do it RIGHT the first time.

www.theoldone.com is their site in case you need it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
civicrunner said:
I plan on boosting more than 8 psi on my d16y8 after i sleeve. What pistons and rods would yall recommend to handle more?
you don't need to sleeve d-series...I'm running 17psi with no probs, no sleeves. just balance and blueprint the bottom end and get really good rods and pistons. I went with eagle rods and srp 9.1 pistons. And it's cheaper than you think it is....it's d-series!

-Rob

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just remember too low compression is not always a good idea, and horrible for the street, a higher comp will get you too run less boost in some cases, but a higher comp will let you hit boost faster and harder, and will (in some cases) pull off bigger numbers than a low comp with more boost, less turbo lag, and more torque.
ie: d16y8 8.8 comp, 20psi-350whp
d16y8 9.1 comp, 15psi-370whp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts