Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a d16y8 with vitara pistons and long rods. Currently, I run the stock cam for some time, makes good power but I have a BC turbo2 cam in the shop and I would like to test it. However, I have not checked the piston to valve clearance when I assembled the motor and I am too lazy to take the head out. Has anyone tried a cam in a d16y8 with vitara-long rod combo?

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
well if your too lazy to clay the pistons...

Just go ahead and slam that BC turbo 2 cam in and let us know how it works out

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Hello. I have a d16y8 with vitara pistons and long rods. Currently, I run the stock cam for some time, makes good power but I have a BC turbo2 cam in the shop and I would like to test it. However, I have not checked the piston to valve clearance when I assembled the motor and I am too lazy to take the head out. Has anyone tried a cam in a d16y8 with vitara-long rod combo?
you dont have to take the head off per se to check for valve clearance.

get a piece of pipe solder, or really soft small rod and bend it at a 90 and put it in through the spark plug hole, rotate engine over and let the valve squish the solder. remove solder and measure how far it crushed.

that being said, i would probably just remove the head unless you really dont care if you bend the valves. You could also possibly use a bore hole inspection camera and physically look at how much clearance you have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THis is probably what I am going to do. If it blows, time for a rebuild with stronger sleeves anyway :)

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
lol, check for p2v clearance on deep dish pistons

1 - 5 of 5 Posts