Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the minimum amount of piston to head clearance that I can run without my engine blowing to crap....I have done some reading and some say somewhere around .040"..at the moment I have about .150" ish w/ headgasket..what do I figure in for rod stretch? I am asking this because I have put vitara pistons in my d15b vtec and was planning on running a thinner .020" headgasket to give it a mild boost in compression...also has anyone had valve to piston clearance issues?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
i assume your a turbo motor,no need to worry about rod stretch that much unless you are revvin like a mofo and have super tight clearances. Are you using a stock cam? if your only using a thinner gasket, your fine, but i wouldnt reccomend it with a turbo motor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its going to be turbo...and I'm using a skunk2 stg 1 but I plan on claying it with locked vtec lobes just to be sure...why wouldn't you reccommend the thinner hg with turbo? more prone to blowing? its a mr gasket mls.. i used a comp calculator and it brought me to about 8.5:1...I need a little power w/o the turbo because I plan on running it n/a until I can get all my parts together...

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yes, more prone to blowing, just shave the head instead. safer that way. and with the D15B its gonna be 8.5:1 without anything being shaved or thinned so your fine, atleast according ot the Zeal

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool I'd like to have decent power at cruising and low speeds and not just when I'm in full boost...this engine will be seeing some n/a time until i can finish my turbo setup and hopefully still have enough to spend on the extra gas it'll be burning....probably run a slightly thicker headgasket and just get the head milled

1 - 5 of 5 Posts