Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Hatch, 01 CRV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a y8 with forged internals. I put about 150 miles on the engine with a basemap I did myself. Engine sounded great at first and then it developed a noise I've never heard before. It kind of sounds like a diesel. Only makes the sound on acceleration, nothing at cruise or decel. It was faint at first so I rolled with it and had it put on the dyno. Made 350hp and pulls great but the noise is now getting a little louder. Does not go away after warming up. I have tried to pinpoint it with a stethoscope without success. Is this piston slap?

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,090 Posts
does it do it in neutral rev up
sound is like a toka toka toka or
a tap tap tap
does it only happen under load?what rpm

valve lash
detonation
rod knock

not piston slap if warm, unless crazy clearance ..

what do the spark plugs look like?
vids?

·
Registered
98 Hatch, 01 CRV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it do it in neutral rev up
sound is like a toka toka toka or
a tap tap tap
does it only happen under load?what rpm

valve lash
detonation
rod knock

not piston slap if warm, unless crazy clearance ..

what do the spark plugs look like?
vids?
Thanks for the reply. Its not a tap IMO. I did adjust the valve lash to rule that out. Everything looked fine on the top end. It makes the sound at idle and it is louder when cold but doesn't completely go away when warm. Definitely does it under load through all rpm. Doesn't do it at cruise or decel.

·
Registered
98 Hatch, 01 CRV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is the bottom one peppered (black specks on porcelain)?top also
Mostly the 3rd one from the bottom. I pulled these after the dyno session. It was making the noise before the dyno and the plugs had no peppering, were just black from running my rich basemap.

·
Registered
98 Hatch, 01 CRV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did the guy at the dyno say they thought it was? Or it wasn't doing it then?
I heard it then but Im not sure if he did, he didn't say anything about it. The noise was present even before the dyno but its definitely louder now.

It sounds like a small diesel engine, that's the best way I can describe the sound. I feel like I just need to pull it apart and find out whats going on.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,415 Posts
I mean, get a video of it tomorrow, let us all weigh in, but it sounds like rod bearings, or the valve train, without hearing it first. Piston slap can happen, but it shouldn't in a Honda unless something was done very wrong with the piston to wall clearance, or the wrist pins. Most likely the rod bearings though.

Surprising that a dyno operator would spin something up that sounded like it might come apart.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,363 Posts
Im going to go with p2w clearance being larger than expected lol

what size are the bores, what size are the slugs, what are the rings gapped?

·
Registered
98 Hatch, 01 CRV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ill get a video today.

I wasn't real impressed with the tuner anyway. He didn't check base timing with a timing light, didn't gap plugs or even check them once. I've never had a car on the dyno before so I just let him do his thing and observed. He's very well known in S FL so figured he knew what he was doing.

SLO- Its a 75.5mm bore, same with the pistons. Cant recall what the ring gap was set to but I had a machine shop check all the clearances and assemble the short block. Now that Im thinking of it, I had the block bored at a shop in Tampa, then moved down to the keys. Took it to a small machine shop down here for assembly and they said the cylinders had some taper in them but they could hone them straight and still be in spec. I bet that's where the P2W clearance got jacked up.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,363 Posts
please dont tell me you went to rays.

if the old man does the work, itll be amazing. if any other idiot there gets a hold of it, then its a guessing game.

when it came time to do machine work on mine, I took it to a member on here in pensacola. and it was still cheaper to rent a car, drive it up there, and have it worked on than anything in tampa

·
Registered
98 Hatch, 01 CRV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
please dont tell me you went to rays.

if the old man does the work, itll be amazing. if any other idiot there gets a hold of it, then its a guessing game.

when it came time to do machine work on mine, I took it to a member on here in pensacola. and it was still cheaper to rent a car, drive it up there, and have it worked on than anything in tampa
Haha no it wasn't Ray's but I've heard about that shop. I had the work done at engine lab on 78th st. I used to work there back in the day too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts