Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic, 95 jeep zj
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So getting ready to drop my vitara pistons into my d16z6. Not as far as ring placement do I just use the stock specs as far as where the gaps go?? I keep getting mixed results and want to make sure I do it right lol.. any info would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,720 Posts
Yup honestly that will be just fine.

Wiseco recommends this, which is also fine:

Text Font Document Paper

The goal with ring end gap clocking positions is to:
  1. Keep the compression ring end gaps away from cylinder/piston thrust surfaces
  2. To direct the blow by gases through the end gaps, and to try and get the gasses to take the long way to the crankcase, while still effectively exhausting them.
Basically, the gasses will enter the top ring gap, have to travel the ringland volume and space between the two compression rings to the gap in the second ring, at which time the gas is directed through the 2nd ring gap and ringland towards the top oil ring gap, and the gases fill the ringland of the oil control ring and help blow built up oil out through the holes in the piston behind the control ring back into the crankcase, which helps to lube the wrist pin as things move up and down, while the bottom oil ring tries to maintain some of the oil between the two oil rings to coat the cylinder.

Ring clocking and ring end gaps simply control travel of blow by gasses while exhausting pressure that builds up between the ringlands, and helps with the oil control ring operation.

Make sure your end gaps are properly set!!! You will break things if not! Wiseco's gap table and formula is an excellent rule of thumb all around:

Text Font Document Paper Recipe

For example, following the above chart and formula for the street-moderate turbo row, setting ring gap for my 1st compression ring, my bore is 3" times 0.0050 = 0.015", 15 thou. I rounded up 1 thou and set my top ring gap at 0.016"

2nd comp ring was 3" times 0.0055 = 0.0165, round up to 0.017"

2nd ring gap should always be slightly bigger, to prevent buildup of gasses between the first and second rings, always keeping things moving downward to the crankcase.

·
Registered
97 civic, 95 jeep zj
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup honestly that will be just fine.

Wiseco recommends this, which is also fine:

View attachment 136135

The goal with ring end gap clocking positions is to:
  1. Keep the compression ring end gaps away from cylinder/piston thrust surfaces
  2. To direct the blow by gases through the end gaps, and to try and get the gasses to take the long way to the crankcase, while still effectively exhausting them.
Basically, the gasses will enter the top ring gap, have to travel the ringland volume and space between the two compression rings to the gap in the second ring, at which time the gas is directed through the 2nd ring gap and ringland towards the top oil ring gap, and the gases fill the ringland of the oil control ring and help blow built up oil out through the holes in the piston behind the control ring back into the crankcase, which helps to lube the wrist pin as things move up and down, while the bottom oil ring tries to maintain some of the oil between the two oil rings to coat the cylinder.

Ring clocking and ring end gaps simply control travel of blow by gasses while exhausting pressure that builds up between the ringlands, and helps with the oil control ring operation.

Make sure your end gaps are properly set!!! You will break things if not! Wiseco's gap table and formula is an excellent rule of thumb all around:

View attachment 136136

For example, following the above chart and formula for the street-moderate turbo row, setting ring gap for my 1st compression ring, my bore is 3" times 0.0050 = 0.015", 15 thou. I rounded up 1 thou and set my top ring gap at 0.016"

2nd comp ring was 3" times 0.0055 = 0.0165, round up to 0.017"

2nd ring gap should always be slightly bigger, to prevent buildup of gasses between the first and second rings, always keeping things moving downward to the crankcase.
My ring gap is 18 for the top and 19 for the 2nd if I recal. Using hasting rings. just wasnt sure which way to rotate the rings didnt want to mess up and have to replace stuff. So either way is fine then?? Any difference in the way i do it stock vs weisco diagram?? Shooting for 400hp

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,720 Posts
Gaps are good. Honestly, I'm not sure why Honda advises against end gaps inline with the wrist pin, and Wiseco says to do it, but I would probably use material commonalities to decide for you.

Since the stock pistons are cast aluminum, as are the Vitaras, I would probably follow Honda's orientation in your case, even though both orientation diagrams would honestly be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts