Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am almost ready to rebuild my block and i am just making sure everything ready to go in. i have a set of TT rods, vitara pistons and just got my hasting rings. my problem is i dont know the order of the rings. and where the gaps are supposed to be. i wanna make sure i do the rings right casue i think thats why my car is burning oil now. either the rings are shit or the cylinders need to be re honed. but ya i need a write up on how to install the rings on the pistons. i have a d16z6 with the standard 75mm vitaras. thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bone, what is the exact reasoning behind positioning the gaps as shown?

Loss of compression if they line up?

Dont they rotate aroung the piston when the engine is running?

Not an argument...but search for more knowledge

·
Registered
766 Posts
Bone, what is the exact reasoning behind positioning the gaps as shown?

Loss of compression if they line up?

Dont they rotate aroung the piston when the engine is running?

Not an argument...but search for more knowledge
Does it matter what happens when they line up? They took the time to type DO NOT in caps, so you should just go with it. Just position them like the picture shows and the world will keep on spinning

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
Rings that line up give compression a way to escape, by rotating them its harder for the compression to escape. Ring gaps in line with the thrust line or piston pin could cause scoring on the cylinders. Rings will rotate while the engine is running which is why you line them up at the beginning, when they move they will still be lined up enough to work. Is that correct Bone?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^I agree, minus I was under the impression that the rings didn't rotate/move while in operation.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
they don't move, unless you did something wrong, like too much gap, then you'll have blowby issues.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
I stand corrected, they do spin.

You just don't want the end gaps along the thrust axxis during break in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
im in the same area with rings, now i have one friend saying i HAVE to file the rings first while another friend measured the gaps a few rings and wit chiltons the few rings we checked were all in spec.....soooo am i good to go wit the new rings or should there be some sort of fileing done?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Measure the gap with a feeler gauge while the ring is inside the cylinder.
If they're within the spec, you're good.
Too small gap, file them til the gap is good.
Too big gap, you need another ring. Might be wrong size (overbored pistons require corresponding rings)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Measure the gap with a feeler gauge while the ring is inside the cylinder.
If they're within the spec, you're good.
Too small gap, file them til the gap is good.
Too big gap, you need another ring. Might be wrong size (overbored pistons require corresponding rings)
check...any chicago area guys that have done this before wanna help????

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
You know, that picture is labeled wrong. Where it says "intake" and "exhaust." The intake side is to the left of the double dotted line, and exhaust to the right
duh........if thats how you read it in the manual. I rotated it CW 90 degrees because it's how you'd view the motor if you were standing in front of it at the bumper........

which is usually how you stand at the motor when it is on the engine stand.

see the piston pin going left to right?

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I always set the oil ring on top....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Never mind. I'm just getting disoriented by turning my head sideways. I've also noticed I sound smarter when I make a few comments as possible
Honestly, It's ok the question the teacher at times, they can be wrong too!

Teachers aren't perfect, I know I'm not.

Did make me check my work though............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts