Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to check Piston Ring Gap. Whats teh best way to do this?

Do i just apply a small coat of oil on cylinder walls.

2. use ring compressor to compress ring

3. use piston to push ring down 20mm from bottom of cylinder

4. Measure Piston Ring gap.

That sound about right?

Thanks in advanced!

Mondo

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I only go about 1 inch down in the cylinder? I use wd40 instead of oil too. If you dont have a ring grinder just use a file. I clamp my file in the vise and then rub the ring on it but be sure to smooth the burs!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
dont forget to file in small amounts!!!!

you can keep taking more off in small amounts to get the right gap, but you cant put it back on if you file to much!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys!

Ive been reading the service manual and it says to go 20mm from the bottom, but that the only reason lol.

Thanks a mil again guys!,

Mondo

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the ring gap change if the cylinderwalls have been bored? (75.5mm). Or is it still the following:

TOP: 0.15 - 0.30mm
2nd: 0.30 - 0.45mm
Oil: 0.2-0.7mm

??

Thanks,!

Mondo

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
the ring gap should be the same no matter the bore, the reason being that with oversized bores you get oversized rings....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kk just making sure!

thanks,

Mondo

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
bigger the bore, the more the ring expands, Therefore with a bigger bore you start with a larger gap.

Also depends on intended applications. Surely you don't want the tight gapped street rings when on a nitrous only motor. Rings will seize and bind.

The opposite will also happen, You don't wanna gap your rings for a nitrous application and it's a daily beater.

Read page two........

http://www.jepistons.com/dept/tech/dl/piston_instrc2618.pdf

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
thanks for the replies guys!

Ive been reading the service manual and it says to go 20mm from the bottom, but that the only reason lol.

Thanks a mil again guys!,

Mondo
I would check the gap in a few different hieghts to make sure the cylinder is consistent in diameter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ill check it an inch from the top, center, and 20mm from teh bottom.

So if im reading what Transzex posted i need to do the following.
Im only shooting for 300hp max in the end. But ill be doing like 160ish to start with and slowly work my way up once i get boosted. I dont think 300hp is considered High Perfermance so i should be good gapping for Street Moderate Turbo/Nitrious

My bore = 2.9724409448851 inches (75.5mm)
Top Ring = Bore x .0050" = .0148622047244255" (.3375000000004077mm)
2nd Ring = Bore x .0055" = .01634842519686805" (.4152500000004484mm)
Oil Rings = Min of .015 (.380999995mm)

Thoughts?

Thanks!,

Mondo

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
That is was for SRP/JE rings, each company's rings might be different contact them.

Myself, I used and old D15B7 rod and piston to square the ring about 1-1.5" down the bore.

IMHO no need to check all the way down the bore unless the bores are egg shaped. In which case should be bored and OS pistons used.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone know of hand what they should be for NPR rings? Im bout to start my search now but figued id post first just in case.

Thanks,

Mondo

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just put p29 pistons from NRP in my d16z6 and I know that the piston to wall clerance on those pistons was 0,04mm and I needed a ring kompressor to get them in so I dident even measure the ring gap becaus i had problems getting them in when it was so tight.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I just put p29 pistons from NRP in my d16z6 and I know that the piston to wall clerance on those pistons was 0,04mm and I needed a ring kompressor to get them in so I dident even measure the ring gap becaus i had problems getting them in when it was so tight.
huh? piston to wall clearance has nothing to do with ring gap. You check ring gap without the rings on the piston

1 - 20 of 25 Posts