Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know if anyone remembers, but not too long ago i fried ringlands and now i need to replace the pistons. i have ordered and received a complete set of new pistons from honda. i took all 4 pistons and rods out and i have honed the cylinder walls, but i still need to switch the new pistons onto the old rods.

so here is my question. the local honda dealership told me i needed a hydraulic press to get the piston pins out and put the piston on the new rod.... is there a way to do this myself without a hydraulic press? or do i have to wait till i get back to stl (this weekend) to drop the pistons and rods off and wait another week till the next time i will be back to stl to pick them up?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
you are going to need a press

personally id take them all to a maching shop and have them do it. pressing the new pistons on is what id be worried about. one fuckup and you scratch or gouge a new slug...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
cost me $65 for 4 pistons to be pressed off D16 rods and onto VX rods......

even with a hyd. press and heat, you can still crack the piston......

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I give you props for honing out your own block but some things just aren't DIY if you want the motor to last.

Take it to a shop and have it done professionally. It'll be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, thanks for the info... i guess ill start preparing myself for not having a car for another 2 weeks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts