Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so long story short, i bought a block from someone local (d16y8) and it has new eagle rods and 75mm vitara's. in my searches ive read that the 75mm's have too much ptw clearance so i was gonna go with 75.5's

but the discovered that the eagles with vitara's have a very low compression. and the custom length rods are better.

i dont want to buy new rods and pistons if i dont have to, so my question is, what forged pistons will give me a better CR on the stock length eagle rods?

also if they are stock bore, and do not need the block to be bored over as with the vitara's all the better.

thanks.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
I know SRP and CP makes 9:1 pistons. Wiseco makes 8.5:1 also. IMO if you're not gonna sleeve the block, get the fj rods. It's more cost effective. I think they're like 340 a set. FJT may be able to get you a better price on a set if you pm him

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was just gonna order the new rods, but id be ordering the new pistons too, and then getting the cylinders bored out. so for that much work and price, id rather just get pistons that give me the right CR and dont require me to bore the cylinders.

but thanks for the info. ill be looking into the those pistons, but what CR would be better in your opinion?

looking for 250-300 reliable DD. im thinking about the 9:1 now... but im also kinda new to boost, doing my research first, but not sure which would be best for my goals? as long as the pistons are correct size, unlike the 75mm vitara's

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
if you get the 75.5mm vitaras and FJT rods you will have a fresh bore
vs
forged pistons and an old bore

just food for thought

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I would leave it. Why drop all that coin for a what, 1 point increase in compression (assuming you use the 75 mm vitaras in). People have made more power than you will ever need on the street with standard bore vitaras.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Check out roller wave.
The forged pistons are going to cost you.
Should be around 9 to1 CR.
The good is their strength, unique design for increased combustion chamber efficiency, low drag skirt design. Efficiency is the name of the game for a DD, it gives you power and fuel economy. The more efficient the head, combustion chamber, and pistons are the less timing you will need to run.

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
if a piston ever has to be replaced you can by single vitaras on the cheap too.

That's a big bonus, as I had a piston get damaged and if I didn't have vitaras there is a good chance I would have had to buy a whole other set of forged pistons!!! $$$!!!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
if u go forged, get the blocks PTW set to .004 or greater (350+whp goals)

if you go vitara, stick with the STD bore piston and just lightly re-hone the block. you should have .006+ PTW.

Im sure you have heard of JFK, the all time record holder for Vitaras... every one of his builds has been 75mm STD bore IIRC. STD bore is the ticket for vitaras.

Also, STD length rods on vitaras is not a bad thing... JFK just made 560whp on a STD rod 75mm STD bore vitara setup.

EDIT: Dr. D-series holds the current ET record for Vitaras by just a smidgen! His is 75mm IIRC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea but im looking for long lasting. no blow by, no piston slap. and enough CR for some decent power while im not under boost.

and the block has a good hone allready, i just didnt want to have to buy new pistons, rods, and get a bore if i can help it. since all 3 are new as is. but thanks for the info, but i still seem to be unsure of which direction to take.

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
it seems like your mind is already made up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know what i want really. but not the best way to get there.

id like to just get some new pistons with a better CR and that do not require my cylinders be bored out, just so i can have proper ptw clearance. so thats what im looking for your suggestions on. thanks

·
11,892 Posts
Then be prepared to run a non-desired ptw clearance.

·
sprinkle fingers
honda or mustang gt
435 Posts
if i was you and your concern about cr i would just buy you some .20 over cp or wiseco pistons and have the machine shop bore and hone to the new piston to the piston to wall clearance you want to achieve with your horsepower goals. i currently have cp with eagle rods bored .20 with a piston to wall clearance of .004. i have piston slap until it warms up but my horsepower goals are in the 400 whp mark when i go to get it tuned on E85.

·
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't use d17 stroke with oem rod. So I will not spend a penny in custom made pistons for this. Teh R/S is too short and the stress make limitations in high en power. Use cheap parts..

The rod stroke ratio is one if the most important point of reliability and durability.

1.45 is too low for punish an engine. at least you run at track only.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I wouldn't use d17 stroke with oem rod. So I will not spend a penny in custom made pistons for this. Teh R/S is too short and the stress make limitations in high en power. Use cheap parts..

The rod stroke ratio is one if the most important point of reliability and durability.

1.45 is too low for punish an engine. at least you run at track only.
while i fully agree... who said anything about D17s?? :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts