Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Evo 8
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking online at different pipe benders, and I have no idea what I'm looking for. Could anyone point me in the right direction for what to look for? i want to be able to do at least 3" exhaust. My price range is 300-700$ In mind, I'm a new welder and only 16,:sign4: I've been taking a welding class this year and my dad has been welding for over 30 years. I wanted to start on a project and have everything i need to get it done before I start.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
Aren't you supposed to do a DIY in the DIY section? If you are N/A 3" is also WAY overkill.

·
Registered
96 civic cx hatch
152 Posts
ok, im 24 year's old....ive been welding since i was 17, ive layed more weld's then most people my age....(60-70 hours a week add's up)

and i have NO urge to build an exhaust....your gonna hate it...ive built them for bike's, scooter's and go cart's and what not...unless you have an actual lift in your garage, its going to be nothing but a hassle, spend the $150 and have a mom and pop shop build one for you....

until you get under that car laying on your back and have to lay a couple of tack weld's on an exhaust leak WITH NO SHIELD cause it doesnt fit and you end up with 3rd degree burn's from hot slag falling on you and theres NOTHING you can do about it....yeah....piss on a custom diy exhaust

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
Not if your K :p or plan on going turbo...

Sup man, im 17, gettin ready to graduate high school! Go post.in the Random thought thread and introduce yourself.
Mc Lovin. You are the exception to a high school student with a K that knows what they're doin'! :bigok:

·
Registered
2003 Evo 8
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback everyone, i figured i could measure out all the piping and bends, were the resonator and muffler go and pre weld it, then put the front of the car on jack stands up front and weld onto the testpipe off of my header.

And I'll be buying bends, seems like a much cheaper route

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex
108 Posts
hard to measure everything out because your running larger pipe so clearance is going to be an issue around the bends and over the lca sounds like it would be more beneficial and better in the long run for you to just take it to an exhaust shop and have them make you one.

I hope your boosted though 3" is way to much for N/A

·
Registered
2003 Evo 8
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not going to be NA, and sorry for posting in the wrong thread. My apologies, Thanks for info anyways

·
Registered
903 Posts
Order you some mandrel bends from summit and weld it all together if you are wanting to build it. a cheap pipe/tube bender isnt goin to do what you want it to. Dies alone for 2.5" or 3" are about $200 to $300 ea. Most decent benders are over $2000. Just get you a pipe expander and slip fit everything before you weld. It will help prevent leaks. Also keep in mind clearance issues with suspension travel. You can get everything under there tack welded pretty good then pull it back out and weld it solid.

·
Registered
911 Posts
and if you wanna do it....

buy bend's, not a bending machine....
X2!!!

Don't be tempted to buy one of these cheap things, they'll just kink your pipe.

I welded up my first exhaust kit at 16, I made it by using bends from autozoe and straight pipe from summit racing. They sell 4' ones for dirt cheap! plus free shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.