Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might get lengthy, but I'm beating my head against a wall and want to explain this as clearly as possible the first time around.

I've been searching for a while now, and haven't come across anything like this. Three years ago I bought a Pioneer DEH-2200UB, cheap, run-of-the mill deck that I had no intention of keeping for very long. Ended up hanging onto it a lot longer than I planned. Last summer, it randomly started cutting out while I was driving. As in, it would stay powered up and playing, but the audio would cut out. All six speakers, all at the same time. Then, it would randomly cut back in and life would be fine until it decided to cut out again. Again, the CD or iPod or whatever would keep playing (you could watch the numbers on screen as it played) but no audio whatsoever. It also didn't matter if it was radio, CD, AUX, or USB.

I did discover a couple of things.. if I hit a bump in the road really hard, it would sometimes come back to life, or at least crackle at me. Also, if I turned Loudness off and bass down to zero, and kept the volume moderate or low, it would usually work just fine. Turn loudness back on, it would cut out.

I knew all of my connections were good, so I assumed it was a problem in the deck, seeing as it was cheap in the first place and it was now 2 1/2 years old, so I bought a new one and upgraded to a Pioneer DEHX2600UI. While I was installing it, I went over all of my connections in-dash. I fixed a couple that looked a little iffy, and the rest looked fine. Everything firmly wired together, no exposed wires, etc.

I bought this deck right before Christmas. It worked perfectly until 2 days ago, when it started doing the same thing my old one was doing. Randomly cuts out while driving, sometimes will cut back if I turn the volume down or hit a pothole. Otherwise, it just stays off until it feels like coming back on.

Now, here's what I do know.. I have four Pioneer 6 1/2s, and the two factory tweeters. No subs, no amp, nothing else. The wiring for the back speakers is a little janky from the previous owner, but it seemed to work so I didn't mess with it any further. I know that all of my connections going to the deck are good. If I hit a bump, it will crackle or cut back in sometimes. If I sit there and smack the bottom of the dash, though, I get nothing, so the whole bump thing might be coincidence.

If it was one channel cutting out or one speaker cutting out, or the whole deck powering off, I would suspect wiring. As far as I know, though, all of the wiring, except for a little bit in the trunk, is original and unmolested. Also, as far as I know, a short somewhere wouldn't cause the deck to keep playing but lose all audio simultaneously, unless I'm completely mistaken.

The fact that I had this problem with an old Pioneer, then I replaced it and it fixed the problem for 2 months and now the problem is back all of a sudden, kind of leads me to believe that there's a quality-control issue over at Pioneer. I guess before I get ahold of them though, just wondering if anybody has any idea what else it could be besides the deck.

I spend about 10-15 hours a week driving, so it's starting to get really old, dealing with this same problem again..

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Have you done this?
Continuity test for resistance from:
12v power source supply before and after fuse -to- Power input at deck.
12v acc power source supply before and after fuse-to- Acc source input at deck.
Ground source at chassis -to- Ground input at deck.

I read that you said the display would still work when it cut out. So its a shot in the dark.

Also check all of the speaker wires, especially doors, for any shorts to ground (more resistance tests). When you check them, attempt to wiggle all the wires around when doing it. This might expose a fault that only appears when hitting a bump and a wire grounds out.

I just replaced the driver door speaker wires in my EG. Though I cant remember if my other door would cut out at the same time.

Worth a look though. GL

·
Registered
1999 Honda Civic Ex
5 Posts
You sir describe a grounded out spreaker/ speaker wire. Have the speakers been changed before? I used to see this all the time on chevy trucks with blown speakers. Start with checking the connections at the speakers and then ohm out each speaker individually. Also great advice from Huffing.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Also check all of the speaker wires, especially doors, for any shorts to ground (more resistance tests). When you check them, attempt to wiggle all the wires around when doing it. This might expose a fault that only appears when hitting a bump and a wire grounds out.
You sir describe a grounded out spreaker/ speaker wire. Have the speakers been changed before? I used to see this all the time on chevy trucks with blown speakers. Start with checking the connections at the speakers and then ohm out each speaker individually. Also great advice from Huffing.
This

1 - 4 of 4 Posts