Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, well not promised but said....

Here are the pics of the engine that I am trying to identify and install into a Honda '89 CRX.

The unknown engine:

The V-tec setup: Is it the JDM 3-stage?

Signs that it uses the P2J:

Some type of label barcode off of the cam cover:

thanks to all who may try and help me out with this!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, that's all I can do, I asked for the proper ECU for this car and recieved a P73 OBD-2 ECU instead,

hmm.....
anyone wanna switch.....?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the stamp says D15B, but my camera could not take a proper picture of it due to it not being that bright out earlier today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
lol, that's all I can do, I asked for the proper ECU for this car and recieved a P73 OBD-2 ECU instead
Don't get me wrong man, Im not critisizing you. I just think you are going to have a difficult time getting an OBD2 engine in your OBD0 car. I have no room to talk! This is my first honda swap! I will help you out as much as I can, and Im sure the others will also. Was this the only engine you had a choice of? Can you take it back to the place you got it and switch it for an OBD1 engine? It would make life easier for you. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am not sure if it is a P2J-2 or 4?
but I thought that it was just P2J-2a(96-98) or P2J-2b (99+)??

and thanks 92eX, I appreciate your help, I think we have decided to try and stick with this engine though, it has been a long process thus far and my other engine, the a6 is not even out yet!

thus, we are attempting to get the right/actual ECU for this engine....
so any help we be once again greatly appreciated!!
I think the basis of this engine holds the essence of what I was originally looking for, (for my car), an engine newer, faster, while keeping fairly good economy, since this is why I bought a Honda in the first place, (one reason anyways)

thanks, keep all the help comming..........

·
Registered
678 Posts
In theory, you can convert to obd-1, use a p72(integra GSR ECU) and set the "IAB secondaries engagement point" to control the first stage (1 intake valve per cylinder>both intake valves operating) and allow the "vtec engagement point" to control the second stage(both intakes running off the larger intake lobe). You'd need a good tuner to get it to work for you, and should be able to get away with Crome. I've put the vtec-e head on my d15b, and tuned it to run well off my p28 in my crx, so don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done. In fact, my car is now turbocharged with vtec-e on the same p28.

Converting to obd-1 is first and foremost, then a p72, chipped, would be your best bet to control everything. Let me know if you need any help sourcing one. I've got one at the house. Along with a possible basemap to get you running.

·
Registered
332 Posts
any ECU can be converted to run another RPM activated switch/control. J-K-tuning sent my friend a P06 that was converted to run IAB and VTEC in his h22. But the P72 would probably be the easiest since it won't have to be modified.

Just use a modified OBD0 engine harness (distributor plug will need to be modified) with necessary subharnesses (vtec, 4-wire O2). Of course you'll need an OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness, then the correctly chipped ECU.

As AMkrew said, don't let people tell you it can't be done. It's not that complicated. It's basically just like a d16y8 swap with 1 extra rpm activated switch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You guys have a lot to learn about hp. Peak hp is overrated. It doesn't tell you which motor is faster. Y8 and 3 stage motors may have the same peak hp, but the 3 stage is much faster overall. If you've ever tuned cam gears on a dyno, then you'd know that sometimes you should sacrifice peak for better overall power.

And you have a lot to learn if you look down on 8 valve mode in the low RPM. So often on Honda motors, what's more efficient is also what makes more power.

What's so hard about converting an OBD0 to OBD2? Just get the whole OBD2 engine harness.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I swapped a D15B 3-Stage Vtec in to a 96 LX... Long story short there's an OBD II ZC in there now... If you can get the P2J 5-Speed ECU you're set as long as you know how to rewire. even then it's not worth it. just because it's free doesn't make it easy, like when my friend thought he could swap a J30A1 into his 91 accord. lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I swaped a d15b 3 stage head onto a (obd2a) d16y7 block in my 97 lev civic and used the P2J-003 manual tranny ECU...wired up a knock sensor, vtec soleniods and made a few small wiring adjustments and it works like a charm...took a while to get out the bugs but its was worth it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts