Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im boosting my built d16z6 soon with a turbonetics t3t4 turbo.
Im ready to install my oil catch can and i want some info on installing my oil catch can that has a breather on it. Ive looked online and asked my friends and many seem to hook it up to the PCV valve one line from the intake manifold side and to the valve cover side. Also the intake manifold side of where the PCV valve hose go i am supposed to block that line off? im new to boosting my honda and want to know if its okay to do it that way. another thing im asking do i need to do anything to the booster hose? should i leave it as is? i mounted the catch can on my car and i just need to hook the lines up.

i made a pic of the diagram for my oil catch can please let me know if its fine to route my catch can like this.

the original hose where the PCV valve from the intake manifold is blocked off
i am also looking for a diagram where to mount my manual boost controler i bought from a friend. i have the hallman pro manual boost controler? where do i mount the vacuum lines at?

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
The boost controller goes between your waste gate and intake manifold. Most people seem to run two lines off the top of the valve cover for a breather set up. I've had mine with one running from the valve cover and one running from the black box to my catch can. It has worked pretty well but I'm redoing my catch can and am going to switch to the two lines on the valve cover.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Get rid of your black box, get the fitting that mounts in place using a -10AN line. Run that to your breather tank/box, then the other 1 or 2 lines to your valve cover whichever you prefer. I have been running no black box/PCV valve for over 1 year and a breather box on my boosted sleeved z6 and im good. NO pcv valve on a good boosted setup. The boost controller goes between your turbo and your vacuum source.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ran an exhaust evacuation setup on mine. Sealed catch can sucking vacuum from the top out through the exhaust, fitting in the middle of the can pulling vacuum from the valve cover, and a fitting on the bottom running down to a fitting I put in place of the black box for an oil return or to pull more vacuum out of the crankcase if needed. I drilled a large hole in the middle of my oil cap on the valve cover and run a small breather on it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The black box is a oem oil seporator, I prefer to leave it and run the breather line from it and valve cover to catch can.
Then vent to atmosphere or turbo intake or exhaust slash
The only way I'd get rid of the black box is if I was using it for an oil return like I am, otherwise I'd leave it since it has some pretty good baffling stock

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Get a check valve to go in between the pcv valve and intake manifold. I have one that cracks open at .3 in/hg and seals up to 1000psi. Then route the valve cover vent to the catch can. If possible weld some bungs on the valve cover for additional venting to the catch can. Keep the black box.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get rid of your black box, get the fitting that mounts in place using a -10AN line. Run that to your breather tank/box, then the other 1 or 2 lines to your valve cover whichever you prefer. I have been running no black box/PCV valve for over 1 year and a breather box on my boosted sleeved z6 and im good. NO pcv valve on a good boosted setup. The boost controller goes between your turbo and your vacuum source.
This is exactly how i ran mine too. Two lines from valve cover to catch can, one line from the block(where the black box used to be, got the 10an fitting) this runs to the catch can. Vented can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ran an exhaust evacuation setup on mine. Sealed catch can sucking vacuum from the top out through the exhaust, fitting in the middle of the can pulling vacuum from the valve cover, and a fitting on the bottom running down to a fitting I put in place of the black box for an oil return or to pull more vacuum out of the crankcase if needed. I drilled a large hole in the middle of my oil cap on the valve cover and run a small breather on it.

i never thought about that

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leave the black box in, but remove the pcv .
hook that hose to the catch.
Cap off the intake manifold nipple.

Then hook the valve cover to the can.
if i do it this way since ive already have the lines almost hooked up.
why do i need to remove the PCV valve?
is it necessary? what will happen if i hit boost or run it hard??
im going to boost the motor only like 8PSI to 10PSI?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
if i do it this way since ive already have the lines almost hooked up.
why do i need to remove the PCV valve?
is it necessary? what will happen if i hit boost or run it hard??
im going to boost the motor only like 8PSI to 10PSI?
Everything should be hook up as you have pictured

But the pcv valve itself needs to be removed.
The reason for that is the valve will close if to much pressure is being push on it to come out.
It also slows the flow.

When boosting you want as much flow from the crank as you can. I put in 2 10an fittings on the valve cover and will have a 10an fitting on the black box that the pcv is hook to.

So in the end the pcv valve needs to be removed or at lest drill out the spring and plug in it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything should be hook up as you have pictured

okay i will sure do that way maybe drill out the pcv valve components out.

okay the other question is how will i have to hook up my manual boost controller i ordered a hallman pro boost controller.

i need help routing or have a clue when i install the vacuum lines for turbo?

one line for the intake manifold to the mbc to where? turbo? wastegate? BOV?? need help.
also what do i need to connect other vacuum lines if i have the bov etc?

·
Registered
274 Posts
If it was me, Do it how you have it drawn up, execpt dont go thru the PCV valve, get rid of that and route straight to the black box port itself. I boosted 14 psi on my z6 for a year with no catch can. I do agree a catch can is important which is why i bought one. Just gotta make sure you buy one thats baffled, and not just some junk hollow can like those fucktards like to sell for 100-150 bucks! what a rip off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
When i built my catch can i filled it with Dawn stainless steel wool. ..they have a foam rubber doughnut in them that let them hold their shape. I stacked 7 of them in the can snugly and it is working great. It will still breath freely but has enough steel wool in it to catch any oil mist.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scotch bright pads are pretty awesome for some baffle too
ive already bought my oil catch can and it don't got a baffle in it.
but it has a oil breather o n the top and oil drain and drain plug/
how would i fill it up with the steel wool or the scotch brite it cant fit too small holes?
lol. what should i do the holes are not that big for it to fit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it one peice or does it bolt together? Can you snap a quick pic of it and post it?
its the same one in the pic i drew total 6 holes bottom drain plug, two tubes, and two mini side fittings, and to one on the top where the air filter sits. only holes no two pieces.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I just modified the black box and made this. but I didn't use a catch can, just a universal 3/4" V8 valve cover breather..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts