Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after digging around on my gearbox, it's come to my attention that the Synchro's are buggered on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. Locally I'm looking at about $200 per Synchro to replace with OEM honda units. So that's a no-no.

Enter my *find* a guy i know stripped his D gearbox to replace a noisy bearing and stripped the oil tap thread on one side of the case, (don't ask)

He made a price and I agreed. Little under $80 for a complete gearbox with new synchro's and a rebuilt bearing kit for the case, All I have to do is send the box in to have the thread re-tapped and a new plug made.

Now.....my question? This gearbox is stripped however all the synchro's gears are all still in tact as the case has just been stripped. Is there anything else that I should be looking at that should warn me of something's a bit more wrong with the box than what he's telling me?

I'm really only after the synchro's and gears, but if I can score a complete box, this now gives me a perfect chance to build another one for my turbo motor, all the better.

What are good bargaining points on this gearbox, what can I knock off of the price??

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
complete box for $80? with new bearings, good synchros, etc? you're already robbing the guy, try not to kick him the nuts on the way out? :p

B

·
0 Posts
Flat, provided you have it repaired correctly I see no problem with simply repairing the fresh box. A second option would be to transfer your good case to the good guts if you have the available down time.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think its a good deal, but like Bspeed said swap internals.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
solo-x said:
complete box for $80? with new bearings, good synchros, etc? you're already robbing the guy, try not to kick him the nuts on the way out? :p
He was happy, I was happy........This was about 1/5 of what second hand units are going for around here..........

bspeed said:
Flat, provided you have it repaired correctly I see no problem with simply repairing the fresh box. A second option would be to transfer your good case to the good guts if you have the available down time.
I had a local shop look at it this morning and he says I've bought a good deal. And that with the exception of the stripped fitting on one side of teh case, the box is 100's........ :) I didn't bargain, cause there were other people interested in the box as well............

I was thinking about just swapping internals, but I'm rather going the route of repairing this one 100% as I'd rather avoid the downtime of having my car out of action.

kommon_sense said:
you given any thought to just buying a bearing and synchro rebuild kit?

www.sms-products.com
Gawd I'd love to buy a kit like that, $166 is NOTHING, I wouldn't be able to buy one synchro for that price......downside is......I doubt that they ship to South Africa. I've emailed them to find out if this is possible......

Thanks for the input guys.......:TU:

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got this now..........Seems I can get it shipped to South Africa, this way at the end of the day I'll have 2 good boxes.............:TU: thanks KOMMON!........

Yes, I ship anywhere.

"The kit includes bearings, seals and the brass synchro rings, (NO synchro hubs). $166 + $56 for 4-10 day shipping via US Mail with insurance.

David Stadulis
SMS Products
4747 Ewell Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
540-287-6384
"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts