Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the feedback. If I could find an hy35 new for no more than 300 I may consider it. Back on the t04b, I still would like views and opinions on it, however I may still buy it and build a mani for it to see how it does and for informational purposes and a reference on here for people who may have the same idea as I do.
On another note I am shocked on how helpful this forum has been during my many different speculations. Thanks to all

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I must have been misunderstood. It will still be t4 flanged t04b just to see if it is decent spool, power, etc. For the sake of knowing. However if it doesn't work out so well then I will more than likely just rebuild the mani to fit the t3. So I will still run it as a t4 to learn what it can or cannot do on a relatively high compression d16. For anyone wondering I will commence the build around July or august and will start the build thread and posting pics the same day as long as fatigue doesn't play too much of a role on me

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks. That's a tease. Lol. I am a chemical barge tankerman on a tow boat and I ride for 30 days at a time. This equals absolutely no alcohol the entire time. Lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If I had anything worth saying I would help you... All I know is: A used garret with some shaft play is better than a ebay turbo any day. But as you have stated several times, you dont want a quality turbo. You want to spend the money towards Charlie's brand to prove a point to some roommates.

p.s. there is a guy in the sites classifieds selling an ebay kit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
i beleive the one your are talking about is schardbody, i have already talked to him. btw i didn't literally mean around around my house. lol. i meant around my area. lol. but i understand what you are saying. i would rather start with a fresh turbo (regardless of build quality) than a used one, with or without any issues. thanks again for the idea, though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i beleive the one your are talking about is schardbody, i have already talked to him. btw i didn't literally mean around around my house. lol. i meant around my area. lol. but i understand what you are saying. i would rather start with a fresh turbo (regardless of build quality) than a used one, with or without any issues. thanks again for the idea, though.
Oh, I have read the thread from the beginning and you said house a few times. I was picturing a huge apt. with like 6 dudes building there cars and talking shit back and forth, about who could build the best budget turbo. But I was wrong.

I understand the need to have new parts, you never know what crack head stole the parts and where they came from. So do you plan on running a oil restrictor on the turbo. The reason I ask is I have heard so many mixed opinions on this I am dizzy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Lol nope. It's just me and my 3 year old little girl that lives there (haven't let my gf move in yet and don't plan on it for a couple more years). Lol. And yes to the restrictor, but also a big oil return line for the of if it does blow, it won't be because of too much oil.
@ 90dirtydsi I implied when it goes out, not because it won't last, but meaning whether it lasts 10 minutes or 10 years. Just a little clarity. Lol

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Sub scribed because I didn't have time to read this thread this morning.

·
Registered
94 civic si hb
122 Posts
very interesting thread read it from front to back and its an interesting concept that many of you are not seeming to grasp. its kinda like the D series motor.. did you choose it over a B series because of money ? or maybe its because you wanted to prove a point that a little motor could beat a bigger B series. its the same way with the turbo he could easily buy a garret or precision but he wants to get a ebay to prove a point. That they are capable of making that power. its more of a bragging rights thing and thats the same reason im running the single cam!

On the t04b its a interesting concept but i do have to agree with what has been said i think its a bit big and unnecessary. A t3/t4 can make the power you want all day with out an issue so there is really no need to go bigger it will just increase spool time. On the other hand it would be a interesting setup and if your go the money i say go for it !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Precisely. I couldn't have said it better myself, obviously. Lol. It's not really a money thing, time will be the issue. It's hard for me to find it. Lol. Also I may try a small 50 shot for spool time in the beginning,though I am not sure yet

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Gotcha however I was thinking that anything more than 400 was too much for 93 pump gas. I may be wrong though but I thought it would just be asking for trouble, in the case of a turbo d

Anyone done over 400 on pump gas on a turbo d? If so did you have any problems?

That is with high compression
The speed factory did 400+ on pump gas to prove that it was safe to do on a d but that wasn't on high compression.
When you have more posts, a member on here might sell his gt35 clone with 150miles needing a rebuild because he pushed high boost on it and the 270* thrust bearing couldn't take it.
You could try using a diesel international dt466 turbo. Even those are a bit large for your goal. The engine they on stock puts out 450-500 ft lb with 200whp.
I'd say even a cumins M11 holset turbo is too large. It's turbin housing and wheel are enormous.

One large issue with egay turbo's is people running .030" restrictors on the journal bearing turbo's instead of the .065" restrictor. I killed my 44 trim or what ever that way in a year. It's the ones that say 57 trim. I wanted your goal and thought it would be possible on the $150.00 turbo because others did it.
Now I'd say get the gt30 clone instead and do a diy 2.5-3" dp for the same money. The gt30 clones come in two different units. The ones in the same housings as the cheap 44 trim units with a larger wheels,
or the nice ones with 4" compressor inlets.

If you're going to look at an egay gt35 only get the ones with a 360* thrust bearing. Water cooled preferably.
I think they feel smaller than an actual garret because for example my gt35r clone turbin inlet is t2 sized with the t3 bolt pattern. I had to port match the inlet to a t3 opening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks for the input. However, I will be buying the turbo brand new. As for which restrictor to use, that is great information and also appreciated. It will definitely be a high boost application and this will be my personal first time tuning a turbo car from scratch. I have made adjustments before, but that was about the extent of it. The tuners in my area suck ass and I figure you have to start somewhere, might as well be on your own vehicle if there is a higher chance in blowing the motor. It doesn't matter so much to me if I do blow it cuz I have a few spare motors that I have rebuilt and I only picked this car up to prove a point. It may look like shit but my dad owns a body shop and I have worked with him since I was 6. I no longer work in the shop but I have it at my disposal, perks of helping him get it started. For now though I figured my beat up, primer black ek on the 17s I got the car with will make for a great sleeper. Lol. Anyways I will look into the 360 thrust knock offs but I am real curious/exited about the t4 setup.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Facebook
fb was the only place i had a pic of it. lol. this was while i was doing the shave side moldings and 99-00 front clip sway. and fixing the wreck. this is my new p.o.s.

i didn't realize but my daily is in the background of the pic of my old eg

41 - 60 of 79 Posts