Honda D Series Forum banner

Picked up a new project

3K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  EFB055 
#1 ·
Hello

I was not looking for one, but I just picked up a non-running 99 Civic EX, Automatic. I found it on craigslist. I went last night to look at it and the original d16y8 "blew up" and someone put in a D16Z6 and then sold the project to the guy I bought it from. He tried to get it going and ran out of knowledge. It will be trailered to my garage Saturday.

When I inspected it, I found the knock sensor and the Crankshaft sensor (by the oil pump) disconnected as you would suspect. It has a new D16z6 Distributor, and a RYwire obd1 to odb2 distributor adapter harness. There is a P2P ECU in it. I really do not know more than this, I will know Saturday when it get to the shop. It is all clean, new gaskets, belt hoses,etc.

My goal is to get it running as an OBD2 car with no check engine light to pass New York state inspection.

A few questions.
What will the lack of a Knock sensor do ?
What about the Crankshaft Sensor? Do it need to be connected? I would think yes. OR can I do this procedure?
.:FFS TechNet : CKF Bypass Trick :.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just buy a knock sensor and plug it in to it. It doesn't need to be bolted in to the block.

That link will work for the bypass trick, however do yourself a favor and do not use those quick splice things. They are junk.

#6 · (Edited)
Update.
I have about one hour to look at it.
I put a new battery in it and it had a HARD time spinning the engine. Also it was making a squeal. I starting checking things out and could not turn the engine over with a breaker bar. Found the alternator seized. Removed the belt and now the engine is free.
Found the alternator belt is installed backwards. I am going to flip it , adjust valves and do a leak down test before I do anything else.

#7 ·
after a compression check, make sure the ignition timing is correct, and be sure to offset the mechanical timing properly.

the z6 and y8 do not have matching timing requirements, and the y8 ecu will be over correcting where the z6 is set.

you may have to go back and forth, setting mechanical timing, jumping service plug, moving distributor, and flopping between them.

if the motor is strong and healthy, this will merely be a running better type of thing. if the motor is down on compression, or ignition system (module/coil/plugs) are worn, this might be a "fuck this sucks" to a "great" type of situation

#8 ·
I will have time over the next few days to look at the car.
So far, I adjusted the valves, and the car started right up. The seized alternator was the issue! :uh: The oil pressure light was not working I had a massive oil leak. I thought the oil pressure sender was not installed, so I removed the intake manifold to get a better look and found the oil filter loose :rant:

#9 ·
Good thing I removed the intake manifold. I saw it had holes for the idle air (the ones above the injectors). This is a 99 d16y8 manifold on a Z6. I plugged the holes with JB weld. I put the manifold back on,started the car and found the oil pan is leaking at the gasket.
This thing was overfilled with oil. IT has what I believe a y9 oil sipstick in it. IT is broken at the top hole, and it was still showing a lot of oil.

Next is a new gasket and willing with the correct amount of oil.

#11 ·
Did you get it to inspection? My 98 Civic Dx with a D16z6 just passed here in AZ last week. I did CKF trick, wired secondary o2 sensor, and I had to install the EVAP system that the car was missing. I do not have a knock sensor and the ECU has not looked for the knock sensor and I dont have a code for it.

#12 ·
I am getting back to this project.
After alot of thought, I have decided to dump the d16z6 and go to a block that has the crank sensor and knock sensor.
I have a 97 Civic HX (d16y5)which runs really well bu suffers from bad rust.
My (new) plan is to grab the engine from this car. I will put a Y8 head on this engine.
The Z6 I will put in my 91 rt4wd.

Are the y5 and Y8 shortblocks the same? Are the injector the same?

#14 ·
why dont you go and check honda oem part numbers to see if the block and injectors match up?

injectors are not same

#16 · (Edited)
This project has been on the back burner.
I got a call from a friend who owns a shop and says a lady gave him a 98 Civic EX % speed instead of paying her bill. I got the car for 200. Everything works, including the AC :)

It will not pass inspection because of a check engine light and I think there is a small hole in the floor. The engine is a low mileage with new timing belt,ETC.

MY "new" plan is to swap the engine into my Car and sell the shell. The current d16z6 will go in my RT4WD.

The new Car is a manual. I plan on changing the original car to manual. I believe the OBD plugs are different from the 88 and 99 so I might swap the harness also. This is true, correct?

I am going to sell the green shell once I do the swap.

Mark

#17 ·
96-98 engine harness is different from 99-00 and you can't swap them. You need to use the 96-98 harness in a 96-98 chassis and the 99-00 in a 99-00 chassis.

#19 ·
96-98 has 3 Ecu plugs for 5 speed and 99-00 has 2 Ecu plugs on the engine harness. The 3rd Ecu plug is part of the cabin harness. The green plugs are also different

#20 ·
OK this project has been sitting, and I just got back to it last week.
To recap, I am swapping a 98 d16z6 and manual tranny into a 1999 EX which originally had a automatic.

When I had the 99 it had a d16z6 installed. I want to use this engine in my rt4wd wagon.I got it running in the 99 EX chassis. IT was but It would not rev past 5500 RPM, sounded like injector cutoff.

So I installed the 1998 engine and manual trans in the 99 EX. I used the original harness from the 99(wired for an auto car). I used an ECU from a 1999 EX manual car (OBD2B).

I have a few issues.

1. I changed from a 3 wire to 2 wire iavc . I moved the wire from B6 to B23 on the B plug. I am getting a icac P code and the iavc is not working.

2. When I rev it up, it STILL will not rev past 5500?!

I have been thinking about swapping the manual OBD2a harness into the car. I know I will have to swap the engine harness and the dash, but what other harness? taillights. headlights?

Mark

#21 ·
OK I am a dumb ass.

I bought an ECU for this swap from Ebay. it was listed as a P2P. I just realized it was a P2E which is for a DX without vtec. This explains the iavc issue. I am geting the correct ECU in a few days.

The "cannot rev past 5500" seemed to have fixed itself.

#23 ·
So I finally got the Car together, has no codes and passed NYS inspection.

I have been competing in the AMEC Ice races with the car running on the street studs class. I really need to straighten the suspension out. Lowering springs and blown shocks are not the hot setup for ice racing. A Diff would really help also.

#26 ·
So the Car is running great. My water pump was leaking so I swap that and the timing belt in under 3 hours without working hard which included going to the parts store :)

With New Front tires, this car is actually competitive . I am looking for a LSD for ice racing and street driving. This is the late model EX trans. I would like a Quaife, but they are a bit pricey.

#29 ·
I always thought the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge was a cool event. Basically. you build a car for 2K and you complete in 3 events, Autocross,a Drag Race and Concours.

http://grmchallenge.com

I found out this year the drag strip was being repaved, so they would do 2 Autocross and the Concours. I still have the 99 Civic I used in he 2018 Street Legal races. I modified the suspension For SCCA street touring autocross. I did a spreadsheet and since things like tires and brakes are excluded from the budget.

One night I decided to register so I would lose the fee if I backed out.

I did hardly any prep for the 2200 round trip. I changed the oil, and packed a head gasket, distributor, main relay, and some tools. Also a case of Angry Orchard :) My Buddy Dalton was crazy enough to go with me.

It became apparent we were going to catch some of Hurricane Florence on the way down. Great. I added 5 gallons of gas to the luggage. I watched the weather and decided to leave 4 PM on Wednesday. We hit the storm somewhere in the Carolina's in the early morning. We were on the outside of it and only had a few hours of hard rain.

I was driving right before daybreak and ALMOST HIT A LOOSE DIFFERENTIAL on I95! Like a Dana 60 size! A mile down the Interstate I see a rusty truck pulled over and a guy is looking at the contents of his trailer.

We drove straight through only taking a 2 hour nap in Hotel Honda.

We checked into the host hotel in Gainesville Thursday around 3. The parking lot was a party every night. Someone brought wood and made a Bar. There were several builds going on. Not small project but Engine swaps and Turbo installs. The weather was perfect.

Friday was 2 Autocross. At this point there were 40 Entries. The Civic came out 11th and I think my fastest run was not counted.

Saturday was the Concours. I knew I would not score wel. It occurred to me my spare tire was a Hakka8. I put that in front of my car and put one of the drone videos on a loop on my Laptop. You get a least 3 minutes to talk about your "build". I spoke about AMEC, how the Civic ran wheel to wheel ice racing. The guys are from Florida, the "tire with metal" in it was a hit. Many stopped by to talk and watch the video.

You could have put a note on your car that says "Do not Judge". You would take 12 points. I think the max points for the Concours was 30 points. I was going to take he 12 points until I got the studded tire and video Idea. I got 13.8 points for my presentation. These guys build their car all year and swap LS engines into cars. All I did was go to the car wash for an hour before the event.

Saturday night was the Awards Banquet. It was a good time. I missed the long distance award by 28 miles! And that guy trailered his car. I ended up 17 or 18 out of 40 cars. I did not come in last, which I was actually worried about.

It was a great time!

EDIT: I forgot to write about the trip back.
As soon as we got on the road, the cruise control stopped working. Annoying. Then a belt slipped on one of my tires so the car starting pulling to the right. I had the 200 treadwear tires on my trailer, but we were too lazy (hungover) to change them.
In South Carolina, The exhaust broke right behind the cat. IT was LOUD! We stopped and ratchet strapped the pipe and bought ear plugs. WE drove non stop home, only stopping for 2 Waffle Houses and Gas.

There was a "wagon" Class. Someone build a wagon around their Corvette. Genius!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.