Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently running a boosted all stock ZC non vtec and i'm wondering what parts i can get from pick n pull or any other junkyard in order to make 250-300 whp safely.
i know the basic rule is dont go past 200 all stock so i'm trying to see what i can get for cheap (at the junk yard) to be able to run higher boost and not blow my motor.

how much WHP can i get away with just throwing in ARP head studs?

What're the strongest OEM pistons i can find at the yard?

any info is great thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so stock rods are the first piece to go? how far car I push it with new Rods?
and what rods can i use other than Eagle because those are was too expensive for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i researched and read that LS rods will work to 300 WHP and fit with some machining, is this verifiable? and which LS rods are best? i'm guessing the newer the better?

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
you could garb and then machine b18 rods but ive heard the work is the near the cost of new rods tho. iirc stock pistons are good to 300whp but its not recomended.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,716 Posts
Eagle H-beam rods can be had for $300 new if you look around, but the LS rods do work. It might be fine at 300whp, until one day it decides otherwise. I would do the LS rods, ARP head studs, and leave it around 200-250whp to be safe. By paying the money to have the pistons cryo'd you could just get some good forged pistons for not much more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay i think i'm going to go LS rods, arp rod bolts, and arp head studs and tune to 280whp
is that too risky? i'm also getting a water/meth kit and i heard that they lower the chance of engine damage because they lower the temps so much

·
Registered
91 Firebird Formula
233 Posts
LS rods are good for 300-400 but honestly, after machining them, buying arp rod bolts, you're probably going to have 200-250 in them.

I posted a WTB rods ad here, and the next day I bought some mint eagle rods for $220 of a member. It's way better than going the complicated route you're doing. Then grab some vitara pistons, it doesn't get any cheaper and then you'll have a rotating assembly good for 400-500whp.

It just isnt that much more money to spend, and considering you dont need the meth kit just use that planned budget for the rods/pistons.

·
Registered
472 Posts
3-400 on stock ls rods? I don't believe that at all, I would be worried pushing then over 250. If you do end up doin ls rods have the machine shop shot peen them as well. I believe the machine shop I had do my engine work was like $15 per rod to be shot peened, it's cheap and adds strength to the rod.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
3-400 on stock ls rods? I don't believe that at all, I would be worried pushing then over 250. If you do end up doin ls rods have the machine shop shot peen them as well. I believe the machine shop I had do my engine work was like $15 per rod to be shot peened, it's cheap and adds strength to the rod.
Then don't believe all the LS/VTEC turbo setups that run with those rods.

As noted above, by the time you get the work done to the LS rods, you could buy a decent set of rods. I want to use LS rods because, well, I have a set already set up, and the fact that they are lighter than any aftermarket rod I've seen readily available for the D, and they will more than hold up for the power levels I want to achieve.

Votara's in a DOHC ZC = silly low compression.
I hadn't caught this. If you do this, you are a complete tool. This is the second worst combination ever in a D-series engine. The ONLY way to make this so it won't suck is the custom length rods and taking at least 2mm off the head in order to raise compression. That wouldn't suck at all, but it is not something you can do for dirty cheap.

Lower your power goals, buy a spare block to build and slowly piece together the bits you need to turbo an engine correctly. Keep the power level at about 200WHP, and your engine will hold up really well as long as it is tuned and maintained.

Basically, stop being a cheap idiot. Learn how to be frugal, not cheap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was getting a new meth kit off my friend for 200 flat
and i'm running a t3/t4 greddy with 550cc RC injectors

and btw its the SOHC ZC

1 - 20 of 34 Posts