Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, intro thread in the noob forum.....SO....I am building a fj/vitara
Y8, It will be pro tuned by either xenocron or innovative tuning with ectune, p28, 660 injectors, walbro pump etc.

My question for you guys is about PERSONAL experiences with ebay turbos. I will be using an ebay 57 trim t3/t4 initially on this build.

I don't want to hear about all the reasons I should or should not use an ebay turbo, this will be a test of an ebay turbo's ability to produce 25+ psi and how long it will last. I WILL put in a real garrett unit if and when the ebay unit fails.

Who has used an ebay turbo and had success or failure with it? lets hear your stories!

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
No first hand exp. But from what Ive heard its pretty hit and miss.. When you are able, the classifieds section is a good place to find deals. I'd go with a used turbo from a fellow dso member way before I'd chance it with a shitbay turbo. My 2¢

:joint:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My biggest complaint is that they make shit power. Once you go past 15ish psi the car only picks up a couple hp per psi.

I ran [email protected] with my ebay turbo at 19 psi. Had it on the car for 8 months, then sold the car. Then 3 months later it blew on the new owner.

Just get a real garrett 50 trim or 57 trim, they are only around 600 dollars, they will make real power, and they won't fail.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Oh and judging by your sig you're aiming for 400whp?

No reasonably sized ebay turbo will make that power. I made 275whp at 19 psi and like I said it was only picking up a couple hp per psi past 15 or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
look at these specs, and how to calculate trim, and then tell me what you are actually buying

Intake: 3 inch
Inlet: 2 inch
Compressor trim: .50
Compressor Wheel diameter: 50.16 / 76.84
Turbine Wheel diameter: 54.06 / 65.20
Exhaust Trim: .57ar
Turbine flange type : T3 flange
Down pipe flange type: 5 bolt standard
Cooling type: oil cool only
Horsepower rating: 350+

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it would seem by doing the math it is actually a .43 trim t4 cold side and .69 trim t3 hotside, does this sound correct?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
a guy in my autotech class got a whole ebay kit and I know he and issues with it. one I know that the nut holding the compressor shaft together came loose and he had to rebuild it. I also remember something with a gasket not sealing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wish people would stop referring to eBay as a "brand." I have an eBay turbo that is perfectly fine. It just so happens to be a factory rebuilt Garrett T25 that I purchased FROM eBay. *shakes head*
Well said...

but the link you posted godspeed is hit or miss, my brother has had his ebay kit for 3-4 years the first kit he bought last 8 months at 18psi and the seals went bad.. he bought another turbo from them and it lasted 3.5 years and the bearings went bad, then he just got a real turbo... but as some one else said they dont like going over 15psi

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know you're asking about personal experience with eBay turbos, probably because they're cheap and it sound easy to just slap on a new turbo on a manifold, but in my personal experience, the best thing to do is to buy a blown garrett/turbonetics/precision and have it rebuilt. That way you have a brand new brand name turbo for ~$300.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well 660cc will get you around 330 HP. So that being said. Get the SSAUTOCHROME T3.

http://www.ssautochrome.com/prod.itml/icOid/1521

I ran mine for 5+ years. It's cheap. Break it in right, always give it time to spool down before you shut the car down, and it'll treat you right.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
This isn't directly Honda but for Subarus, Kinugawa(and some other companies associated with them, forgot their names) ebay turbos are highly regarded and considered more reliable than the stock IHI/Subaru turbos(the Kinugawas use a Mitsubishi CHRA). eBay is just a marketplace, doesn't mean you can't find something good on there.

My Subaru has some ebay turbo(not sure of the brand) installed by the previous owner; but he had it rebuilt first. Probably about 1200mi on that turbo so far with no issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well 660cc will get you around 330 HP. So that being said. Get the SSAUTOCHROME T3.

Brand New T3 Turbo Performance Racing Products for International Sales from SSAutochrome Inc.

I ran mine for 5+ years. It's cheap. Break it in right, always give it time to spool down before you shut the car down, and it'll treat you right.
Actually 660 injectors will support 400+ whp....I have seen plenty of 300 whp cars with 450's, they are at 95% IDC but that's besides the point.

This thread was to gauge personal experiences with "ebay" turbo's I think we all know what is meant by ebay turbo here, I mean ome on people of course you can buy good turbos on ebay, but by ebay we mean cheap ass chineese turbos.

This will not be my first experience with an "ebay turbo, This will be my 4th tubo build, and I have helped on numerous other builds, while I don't laim to be an expert, I do know what is going on, I just wanted to know other peoples experiences with cheap turbos, good or bad.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
My overall experiance with Ebay turbo's was some what decent..I rebuilt both with rebuild kits from G-pop shop and had compressor/turbine assembly balanced..I got the spec sheet back from G-pop and couldn't believe how bad out the balancing was.If you run the right restrictor,frequent oil changes and keep boost below its max level,you should get a fairly decent life out of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts