Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my situation. I have a 98 ek with a d16y8 with almost 200k miles on it. Previous owner didn't really do a great job maintaining it so I'm stuck now trying to rebuild it. I had a valve lash problem did the adjustment but still have that damn rattle noise. I was told my valve springs are most likely worn out but Honda can no longer get the stock valve springs. So I'm now looking at aftermarket. Question is can I put performance springs on a stock cam? Or is there a performance can I can put in that I won't have to worry about emissions and tuning. Since I can't go to obd1 and stay legal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help y'all. To be honest I didn't even think of going to a pick and pull lmao.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Supertech Valve springs will do the job + you will be good for future upgrades. I'm running one on my turbo d16 with stock cam gives me a piece of mind being high boost :walkman:

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
if you're going the aftermarket route, get the kms instead of supertech. they're exactly the same, only rebranded and cheaper ;)

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
if you're going the aftermarket route, get the kms instead of supertech. they're exactly the same, only rebranded and cheaper ;)
I wish i woulda known that sooner :lurk:

·
Registered
657 Posts
....I've been running Crower springs on my stock cam for about the last two years.

Crower springs + retainers are awesome, from the research I've done. I recently installed some for my D16Z6 - using their chromoly retainers, as well. $151 shipped for the springs and retainers, directly from Crower. When I was comparing spring rates, they were a bit softer than Comp springs, but definitely stiffer than stock (not by much when using my hand dyno. :p )

I'm sure there are better deals, but these are quality. The retainers look substantially thicker than stock, as well. Definite piece of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts