Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, so yesterday i met up with a friend of mine, he works at a performance shop and i told him my plans for the engine block that i bought and this is what he sayd...

If your going to build the engine for street,then dont go turbo,the reason is because turbo has to much of a lag and you wont be able move fast enough in that short distance, instead go all motor,

take your spare block and bore it out to 100+, try and get either flat pistons or high compression pistions, and try and make as little space in between the block n the head by buying the thinnest head gasket possible, the less clearance u have the more power u'll make.

What do u guys suggest here,is he right on this topic? should i go turbo (because id like to) or all motor for a street up (as id also like to go auto x'ing)

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
hello everyone, so yesterday i met up with a friend of mine, he works at a performance shop and i told him my plans for the engine block that i bought and this is what he sayd...

If your going to build the engine for street,then dont go turbo,the reason is because turbo has to much of a lag and you wont be able move fast enough in that short distance, instead go all motor,

take your spare block and bore it out to 100+, try and get either flat pistons or high compression pistions, and try and make as little space in between the block n the head by buying the thinnest head gasket possible, the less clearance u have the more power u'll make.

What do u guys suggest here,is he right on this topic? should i go turbo (because id like to) or all motor for a street up (as id also like to go auto x'ing)

thanks in advance...
well, if you want to autox as well, then I think N/A would be your best bet. Very usuable power and its always there. If you ever need more you could also toss a 50 shot to it lol.

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol so for the most part he's right?? so im assuming that turbo is more for high end power,not really short n quick speeds ?

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
if you are trying to make 180hp+ the cheapest way is boost. if you dont want lag you invest in your usual t25/14b turbo's. if you like n/a powerband like me but still want to boost and make close too 220-350hp the gt28rs will get you there but after talking to greg the borg warner s252 is the better candidate.

if your going to autox and your a n00b like me then worry more about saftey first,suspension,brakes, then tires, but start off with a fairly stock engine no mods.

if you wanna play with n/a the power is in the head and you build around the cam you use.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Well, isn't that technically the key to any build? The bigger the ports the more air you can flow through there (to an extent). lol
to me the cam is the foundation and the headowork opens the possibilities lol. people skip headwork and go for compression and leave head work last.

·
Registered
99 ek
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i really want to go turbo because i want to strike 250-300 whp, and also iv always wanted a turbo'd out car ; )

As of right now i striped the current spare block that i have down to the block,pistions are still inside but i dont really know what to do because i want to go turbo, but ppl are telling me to go n/a since i want to auto x and use it as a daily driver.... me so confused ; (

what u guys think? what would you do in my position?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts