Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone names Kevin

I got a quick question, I own a 98 Honda Civic LX D16Y7 Auto. Every 10 seconds ,car is warmed up, it starts jerking while both idle and driving, It gets irritating like someone is jumping on the bed while your laying down. I'm also having low idle problems, car starts great idle at 1500 and drops down to at least 1000 or 700-800. and while driving it does the jerking and it has stalled on me at least 8 times already during traffic. And I'm also at a loss of power civic sounds like a v8 and moves like an old lady and at 50-60 55 being the main point it hesitates PLEASE HELP I BEG YOU. My engine is at 85000 miles rounded, as from my knowledge it had a frontal crash the first time fixed and i also slid into another car trying to miss it i ended up hitting the front where the passenger side is located haven't fixed it since because all i see is the hood and radiator support grill damaged and could wait till next month.

Please give me your diagnostic/resolution on it , From watching EricTheCarGuy videos I've learned that it might be because of either the tranny , spark plugs or fuel filter, the only work i've done to the civic is clean the IACV and that was about last week saturday. This has been going on for about 3 months. Thank You for your time.

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright cool thanks man , I've also heard things about the engine/tranny mounts... not sure

Lol yea I had to just so everyone can get that general idea

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh gotta ask you a quick question about the wires , Can I just buy a NGK Wire Set and call it a day. And if wanting to change spark plugs what should I get. I know Honda recommends Denso and NGK.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
well you would pay ~$65 for a new NGK wire set and they are not known for going out, OEM wire sets have been tested after 15 years and are still good. If you want to check/replace everything else and leave the wire set for last, that would be a better idea. I wouldn't use any other spark plugs than NGK or DENSO.

My Wife's 95 civic Ex had a bucking problem only when accelerating and holding the gas pedal at a certain spot. It kept getting worse until I went ahead and changed the above mentioned components.

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome Thank you alot, I shall inspect it and then head off to autozone. Yea it does that around 55 mph for me and I felt like the engine choking, Nevertheless I shall pick up mounts also.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
just check the mounts first. no need to spend money needlessly when the mounts are good. usually on the drivers side mount they will rip open and spill out oil. the passenger's side will crack and tear as well as the rear. the lower ones in the front are just torque mounts dont worry about those they always tear even right after they are brand new.

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just check the mounts first. no need to spend money needlessly when the mounts are good. usually on the drivers side mount they will rip open and spill out oil. the passenger's side will crack and tear as well as the rear. the lower ones in the front are just torque mounts dont worry about those they always tear even right after they are brand new.
Oh Alright, Have you changed all of them right in your backyard , or did you get it professionally done ?

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey just to give a headsup on what ive done , Ive gotten a new fuel filter changed it and new spark plugs NGK Gpower, i had autolite or w.e its called in before. I've only gotten to change my passenger upper n lower mounts (upper by battery and lower by wheel)

Im stuck on the driver upper and lower , my lower was broken so when taking it out I didnt need to do the whole procedure needed to take it off.. so I am now looking at this bolt and new "torque mount" lost (is their anyway you can help me , telling me what i need to do , ive googled it , im lost at this point), and my upper mount next to belt is being a beach .. i broke my 17mm socket on it like my socket is literally broken in the middle.. and next is my rear mount ... im starting to hate this car lol.

I also am getting a misfire cylinder 1 code blinking ... i was parking and the whole engine began to shake .... and my new ngk is in their ... im screwed ..

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i Have finished mounts found out the spark plug wire first cylinder decided to be eaten by distributor or something else i shall buy ngk he76 wires tomorrow and update lol

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final update: Changed wires , NGK GPOWER Spark Plugs , changed engine mounts , Car runs in great condition i drove it like a King on his throne. Next I need to buy DRAG DR20s Gold , Coilovers and a Vibrant Muffler if any other idea on what to do please feel free to comment
Thanks for the help NeonPinHead
Thanks for reading guys

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the only thing you are missing from a complete ignition tune up it distributor cap and rotor...otherwise i think you got all the things taken care of

glad you got her up and running well :)

welcome to d-series

1 - 14 of 14 Posts