Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's as most of you know I rebuilt my motor back in February in my civic.
Well I now have about 9.5k miles on it and a new head.

The intake manifold that came with the z6 head didn't have a pcv valve on it so I vented the "black box" atmospherically. I then used a pcv filter or w/e on the valve cover.

Well in the recent month the filter has been popping off and shooting around my engine bay. I don't know what is causing it but I have some questions so I can try to troubleshoot this if possible.

a.) When at idle is there supposed to be air surging from the valve cover but under load it neither creates suction or any pressure from it?

b.) When i am under a heavy acceleration and then come off of it and de-accelerate the smell of "burnt oil" come's rushing into the car.

Now when I say burnt oil I don't mean what you smell out of the exhaust, I mean the smell that is distinct smell's like if you have ever rebuilt a motor that had 75k+ miles on it after you took the head studs or bolt's out of the girdle. It is a horrible odor and lingers for day's in your garage lol..Smell your old head studs ...

I would appreciate any and all suggestions because this one has me confused and I don't know if it is normal under the circumstances, there's really from a "performance" aspect no difference with my car I just want to check with y'all and make sure there's not a problem lingering internally because of this.

Thanks guys

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
when at idle the pcv valve is almost completely closed since maximum vacuum is obtained at idle then when at WOT there is maximum flow through the pcv valve. this needs to be a closed system to vent the crankcase properly, its supposed to reroute crankcase vapors to the intake manifold to burn them.

if the filter is popping off make sure its on tight, the smell of oil are the crankcase vapors escaping the engine i would think. hope this helps

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in this case either.

a.) a pcv set up will help me ( obviously)

b.) a catch can set up will also do as well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts