Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post about using a 1" freeze plug to cap the hole where the black box plugs in on the back of the engine. The post said that a lot of people do it but I never heard of it. Could this lead to any issues? It got my attention since it would mean one less hose to run to the intake manifold or catch can.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
i bet it would work as well as having a clogged pvc valve.
imo, d-series engines need some crank case ventilation.
when i got it, my old bone stock civic ex had a clogged pvc valve and leaking rear seal.
coincidence? we'll never know for sure...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I suspect that with a blocked off pcv system that you will get some blow by sending oil into the combustion chamber. I would find a way to vent the block.

I have routed the black box to the same catch can I vent the valve cover to.

·
Registered
92 EG, 88 ST165 WRC
410 Posts
AFIK, any engine needs some sort of crankcase ventilation to prevent blow-by and all that fun stuff.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im running a dump tube from the stock valve cover vent to the floor up front. mayeb ill do the same for the black box. it doesnt seem to drip at all.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
My black box and vc vent are tee'd too another 1/2 inch running to a small baffled catch can. It is vented to the intake before the tb. Cut down some of smoking at high rpm, no build up of oil in the can yet after a few months of dd'ing and some track time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I grabbed a few feet of 1/2" hose from autozone and routed it into the catch can. I was having an issue with buring off oil getting into the intake through the PCV on certain turns. Routing to the catch can took care of it. I get about a tablespoon of oil in a race.

make sure you plug the opening in the intake were the PCV hose connects. I put a couple of inches of hose on it the stuck a bolt in the hose with some sealer.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have vacuumed plug caps. On the IM that I'm prepping it will be welded closed with other unused vacuum ports.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts