Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Background:

I bought this car back in 2008 from a buddy who thought he wanted to do a H swap but quickly grew tired of the project. The car was previously used for Autox events so it already came with quite a few goodies like a JRSC kit, a quaife LSD, a Zdyne ECU, a kamikaze header, and a bunch of other stuff. My original plan was just to refresh things, replace what needed to be replaced, and then continue to autocross it. Well, my plans changed over time and I ended up dumping a lot more cash and spending a lot more time on this than I originally expected.

My previous thread "My D16A6 JRSC Build" documented most of the progress but it was spread over many years and most of the pictures stopped working due to imageshack policy changes years ago.

The purpose of this thread is to consolidate the information into a few pages and to fix the broken images. I'll try to keep things brief and focus on the important info and the good pics. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Build Details:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Supercharger - Eaton M45
---------------------------

-Sourced from a D-series JRSC kit

-Pulleys - 3.2" supercharger pulley, OEM D16Y8 crank pulley (7.9PSI at 4700 RPM)

-Custom-built water-to-air intercooler manifold w/ 2x laminova cores

-Custom-built S-tube

-5"x20" oil cooler as heat exchanger

-SPAL 4" puller fan; mounted to heat exchanger

-Bosch electric water pump

Engine Block - D16A6

-Pistons - 75.5mm Endyn FT RollerWave. 1.17" Comp Height
P2W - .0028"

-Rods - Crower Steel Billet I-beam

-Bearings - Clevite

Mains:
1: .0016"
2: .0018"
3: .0016"
4: .0018"
5: .0016"

Rods:
1: .001"
2: .001"
3: .001"
4: .001"

-Oil Pump - OEM. Endyn "modified"

-Engine mounts - Hasport

Cylinder head - D16A6

-Endyn "Full Modificaions" Porting

-New OEM valve seals

-Premium Tapered Manganese/Bronze valve guides

-Valves - .5mm oversized. Nitride Coated

-Springs - Isky (includes spring seats)

-Retainers - Isky titanium

-Cam - Web 148e/273 regrind

-Head Gasket - OEM D16Y8

Fueling

-Injectors - DSM 450cc (Cleaned and flowed) **Soon to be replaced with Bosch EV14 600cc injectors.

-Pump - Walbro 255LPH HP

-Fuel pressure regulator - OEM D16A1 FPR (required to clear the intercooler manifold)

Tuning

-ECU - Chipped PM6 w/ Ostrich v2
-Software - Turboedit NG63
-Monitoring - Innovate LC1 & Hulog

Exhaust

-Header - Kamikaze with modified collector

-Tubing - 2.5" mandrel-bent stainless steel tubing kit

-Resonator - Vibrant 18" stainless steel

-Muffler - Magnaflow stainless steel 5x8" oval 18" length

Transmission - Cable Si

-Rebuilt by Chris @WDR

-Differential - Quaife

-Clutch - Action 1MS

-Gearing - OEM

Suspension

-Mix of poly and OEM rubber bushings.

-Shocks - Koni Yellow

-Springs - Ground control coilovers
Front - 400lbs
Rear - 450lbs

-Rear sway bar - ST Suspension

-Traction bar - Explicit Speed Performance w/ torque mount

Brakes

Rotors - Brembo slotted

Pads - Hawk HP+

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Engine Removal and Teardown

One of my first priorities was to have the engine rebuilt. We pulled the engine out, stripped it down to the short block, and sent it off to a local machine shop. The cylinder head was sent to Endyn. In hindsight, I would have liked to have assembled the block myself.

The internals:

Endyn's oil pump porting job:

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cylinder Head

While the block was at the machine shop, I sent the cylinder head to Endyn for their "Full modifications" job. I spent way too much by having Endyn do it but I was very pleased with the quality of the work.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Rocker Assembly

The rocker assembly was pretty dirty, probably from the use of conventional oil and higher temps from the supercharger. I disassembled everything for cleaning and noticed that the exhaust rocker shaft had some pretty significant grooves worn into it from the rockers. The intake rocker shafts didn't show similar wear. I cleaned everything in a parts dip, replaced the exhaust rocker shaft, re-assembled, and installed the web camshaft.

**NOTE** All of the rockers, both intake and exhaust side, are labeled "A" and "B" but it's easy to get the exhaust rockers mixed up if you're not paying attention. The arrows on the exhaust rockers should point towards each other. Also, if you keep the bolts in when you remove the assembly, it won't explode when you pull it off. I didn't realize this at first, hence the zip ties.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Engine Assembly

After getting the block, trans, and cylinder head back, we re-assembled the engine. The old wiring harness was a little hacked up from a poor OBD1 conversion so I went searching for a new OEM harness. All of my local Honda dealerships told me it was discontinued, as did Majestic Honda. I called quite a few Honda dealerships and somehow found a dealership that had one in stock.

I didn't have any worthwhile pics of the transmission since I didn't build it. I did, however, want to post a picture of the excellent shipping job that Chris from WDR did.

**NOTE** - The bisimoto cam gear is incorrectly marked by about 1/3 of a tooth. This had my scratching my head for hours before I installed the old cam gear and realized that it was marked incorrectly.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Traction Bar Install

While the engine was out, we installed the ESP traction bar. The bar attaches using one of the OEM crossmember bolt holes and the OEM tow hook locations. While removing the tow hook bolts, I realized that the welded nut inside the frame rail had broken loose. We used a hole saw to drill a hole in the back-side of the frame rail to get to remove the loose weld nuts. We broke off the remaining weld nuts and used new hardware in it's place.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Engine Install

We re-installed the engine and transmission, installed the Hasport engine mounts, and a I re-wrapped the header. I tried to tidy up a few things in the engine bay, removed the ground wire kit (which i personally thought was overkill), installed new OEM battery cables, replaced a few hoses and pieces of vacuum tubing, and installed some new OEM sensors and whatnot.

While the cylinder head, transmission, and engine block were being built, I had the supercharger rebuilt by Stiegemeier. The original M45 was in pretty rough shape and had some deep scratches on the rotors so Bob "refinished" them by turning them on a lathe. I started to grow concerned that this process had increased the rotor-to-case clearances and reduced the efficiency of the supercharger so I bought another, newer, JRSC kit.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Exhaust

The exhaust that was on the car was pretty trashed. There were numerous leaks and the piping was starting to rust through. I wanted to keep the Kamikaze header though because it was previously modified by Endyn to have a true 2.5" collector. Not wanting to deal with rust again, I opted for all stainless steel components. I bought the largest resonator and muffler that I could find and I chose to install a flex pipe to reduce the potential of the welds cracking. Luckily for me, one of my best friend's father is an amazing TIG welder and welded everything up for me after I tacked everything together with my MIG.

The exhaust sits a little lower than I would have liked due to the way the pipe was bent over the rear LCA but it's a HUGE improvement over what I had before.

Here's a clip of how it sounds. Don't mind the whining in the background. I had forgotten to tighten the bypass valve hose and there was a vacuum leak.

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
goddamn, thats one gorgeous long block! :TU:

Edit- I also have Bosch 750cc and Idk if you interested in it? I bought the AEM Fuel Rail/Fpr and it comes with 750cc injectors and I don't need it cause I'm gonna run 450cc in LS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts