Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these have been around for a while, but this is my first P:JDM product I've ever purchased/installed. Although I've never been a P:JDM fan, I've liked the looks of most of their products. Just not the price. I found this bracket on eBay, for $16.99 shipped. After checking P:JDM's website, they offer it for the same price. Since I've heard horror stories about P:JDM, I decided to order it from the eBay seller.

Once I got it in my possession, I was actually very disappointed on how thin and cheap feeling these brackets are. Although it's simply a radiator stay bracket and it doesnt need any major support or thickness, I was assuming it would be more beefier, weight wise and material wise.

The part fit perfectly (even after having to drill out the bolt that snapped off inside the radiator support...), and looks pretty decent. I opted for the pink one, becase 1)I'm always different, and 2)my girl loves pink (another reason for her to 'like' my car...it has pink parts lol).

Here's a picture of it installed...

Attachments

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
But was it worth $16??

Could you not have painted the factory one hot pink?

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worth $16? No, I don't think it was because of how thin and flimsy it is for a bracket. If it were more bulky and thick, then yes, it could be worth the $16 IMO.

As for painting the stock one pink...the only downside to that is that it could chip/flake off over time. If I were to get it powder coated, would it have cost less than $16? I'm not sure...I don't know the current rate of powder coating. Then I would have to find someone local, drop it off, pick it up, etc. Ordering the P:JDM one was more convenient, which is another reason the price is higher.

I'd imagine these things only cost around $8 to make, and they're selling them for $17. That's not too bad of a profit for such an item.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Id say not, 100% profit is always nice.

Im glad you commented on how flimsy these things are, I was going to ask about quality.

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get me wrong, it's not like a piece of paper. It doesn't bent and fold up on itself when installed. When bolted down it holds the radiator in place. It does its job. But, compared to the OEM part, it's nothing. I just personally wish they were thicker. If I wanted to bend the P:JDM bracket with my hands, I very well could with some force. If I tried that with the OEM bracket, it wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Worth $16? No, I don't think it was because of how thin and flimsy it is for a bracket. If it were more bulky and thick, then yes, it could be worth the $16 IMO.

As for painting the stock one pink...the only downside to that is that it could chip/flake off over time. If I were to get it powder coated, would it have cost less than $16? I'm not sure...I don't know the current rate of powder coating. Then I would have to find someone local, drop it off, pick it up, etc. Ordering the P:JDM one was more convenient, which is another reason the price is higher.

I'd imagine these things only cost around $8 to make, and they're selling them for $17. That's not too bad of a profit for such an item.
Lol it probably costs them $3 to make it.

I'm the type of person that always attempts to save a few dollars by trying to make things like this myself. I end up spending more money and wasting time and buying the legitimate one anyway lol.

Nice review!

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
I also have one, red. Wish I had just kept the stock one :/ not worth it

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
i made mine:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've got the password JDM rad stay, fender washer kit, and lug nuts. Their parts are top notch quality. You don't need a 3/8" piece of aluminum to hold your radiator in place. It's a nice piece that compliments a good bay, with their logo lasered in it makes it even better. All my fender washers are holding up great and haven't had any problems with those, had them for a couple years and have been on my civic and had them on my Evo too. The lug nuts are quality too, I had the threads of a Blackworks lug nut fold when torqueing my lug nuts (yes I torque them, dealer tech stuff) and haven't had a problem with the passwords besides a little bit of fading.

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got the password JDM rad stay, fender washer kit, and lug nuts. Their parts are top notch quality. You don't need a 3/8" piece of aluminum to hold your radiator in place. It's a nice piece that compliments a good bay, with their logo lasered in it makes it even better. All my fender washers are holding up great and haven't had any problems with those, had them for a couple years and have been on my civic and had them on my Evo too. The lug nuts are quality too, I had the threads of a Blackworks lug nut fold when torqueing my lug nuts (yes I torque them, dealer tech stuff) and haven't had a problem with the passwords besides a little bit of fading.
I'm not saying the piece is garbage. I just ASSumed it would be a bit beefier...that's all. Especially compared to the stock unit.

Although, P:JDM has new cap nuts for exhaust and intake manifolds...and they're charging $59.99. For nuts. Tell me their parts aren't over priced a bit? lol

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
I got a red one for my birthday couple of years ago. Fit perfect, no complaints here.

·
Registered
1992 EG8
93 Posts
Im with ya, take the time out to clean up the bay and spray it (thats what i did before i installed mine). The pwjdm items compliment the vehicle very well. I use to have a coupe with gold radiator stay,fender washers,distributor washers,vtec solenoid washers, and header washer kit. Have't had the lugs yet, but the quality of the items in my opinion is 100%. Yes tho,I do believe they are over priced for just little nuts,but I like the writting on them lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I bought one used from a friend of mine for $10 a year or so ago.....I love it, Yes they should be beefier but again it doesn't bend or fold over itself I think it is well worth the <$20 mark for myself, I love mine the old one was all rusty and the new one looks great.

Kinda hard to see but it's there lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts