D16y8 block/z6 head - I call it the d16z8 lol
Like the title states I am going turbo after getting the car up and running. This is more of a question for the second time I take it to deq because I’m gonna wait until it passes DEQ the first time and then install the turbo right after so I have two years without worrying about this. Im gonna be running the p28 ecu when I have the turbo kit installed, in Oregon they are pretty relaxed and use a scanner tool on obd2 vehicles but since the p28 is obd1 this obviously won’t work the same. I have a line of questions on what I could try to do to get around this. some of these are probably stupid questions but its worth a shot asking anyway and some of them might have already been answered before so if you have links to post that answer them please drop them so I can plan what I’m going to do. I have been trying to research this subject for a long time and I haven’t been able to find many solid answers. I really need a reliable way of passing DEQ when those times come so I can drive it legally. I know if I switch ecu’s I have to complete a drive cycle before taking it into deq so its not as simple as unplugging one ecu and then plugging in another (how I wish it was that simple). So here are my questions:
- Is there a way to run 0psi on the turbo or really low boost when using the p2p ecu that way I don’t blow anything up
- How does a piggyback work on a p2p? Am I able to run turbo on it safely so I don’t blow my engine, and can complete a drive cycle and take a trip to DEQ?
- Can I somehow wire the p28 ecu to the obd2 scan port? (This would also make my life easier checking CELS instead of using the paperclip method)
- Is there a way to complete a drive cycle without driving? or trick the ecu or scanner tool into showing that everything good to go?
- I saw someone in another forum state that you can wire both ecu’s together or some sh*t like that with the obd2 to obd1 conversion harness so they both are functioning so you don’t lose the drive cycle and install a switch to go from using the p28 to p2p and vis versa, is that even possible and how the hell would I do that without burning one or both ecu’s?
- Do I have to uninstall the turbo kit and go back to stock every two years? (I really don’t wanna have to do that)
- I think if a scanner tool won’t work they go for the sniffer test how would I get around that straight piped?
Like I said I know a lot of these are stupid questions but doesn’t hurt to ask and I wanna rule things out. I don’t need all of them answered I just need the best possible solution to getting around DEQ. don’t hurt my feelings lol