Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I painted my car and was asking the manager of the shop about painting my Valve cover the same color as my car with the same paint. He said that it wouldn't last with the heat. Since he has around 25 years experience in the business I took his word but I have seen countless valve covers that have been painted but most of the pictures I've seen were taken shortly after the job was finished. I was wondering if I could get some advice from people that have painted their valve covers and was wondering how they held up and what the proper way to ensure the job lasts would be. Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i have painted my vc with high temp paint(and followed the curing procedure) and no problems, its been just about a year now.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
i learned this lesson a few years ago and if you learn 1 thing this week learn this

meachanics are not bodymen

and bodymen are not mechanics

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
^^^^^^ so true...

ive had mine for months now with no fading... :td:

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i learned this lesson a few years ago and if you learn 1 thing this week learn this

meachanics are not bodymen

and bodymen are not mechanics
He's actually a painter that painted his first car at the age of 13 (it was a beetle) he's in his 40's now, his father was a great painter also. But I think he just didn't want to do it. So you all agree that painting my VC in the same manner as my car (same paint, clear coat, materials, etc) will work out fine and hold up under the temps?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
i would make sure the clear will hold up to the heat, dont want it to turn yellow...

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
yeah....for a good price like that i would...i Know that the powdercoat will last...my best friend powdercoated his I/M on his Chevelle...and no worries there.

·
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!
Civic
2,875 Posts

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
there was a guy on here that was charging... i think $60... his work is very good...

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice find, that's a great match for my car's color, but as far as warranty goes I'd like to get it done locally in case anything goes wrong. I was also going to do a rear disc swap and wanted to get all 4 calipers done the same color and the inside of the rotors done in black. So I'll just hit the guy with the connection up and get it all done at once. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I go with a lip or any other body mods they will be carbon fiber. as far as amber corners I don't know yet I might just get a new set of clears or polish the ones I have. If I go with amber corners I want the side markers too. I still have a long road to travel with this car...

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
So to verify, it is okay to use auto body paint on a valve cover?
same prep, but a auto body primer, base, then clear?

Will that clear hold up? I think the autobody clear would hold up better than a spay can

I plan on painting my rims, lip kit, and valve cover all to match and wanted to make sure about the VC
I'm painting a buddies TA this weekend. Stock black w/ some sort of maroon ice in the clear

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Regular automotive clear may not hold up as well as something specially made for exposure to heat and chemicals. crazymx6 seemed to think in the VC contest thread that you could use an engine enamel clear over your automotive base coat. Obviously you would need to test for compatibility. I can say that I used 1-Shot striping enamel on my VC and I did experience some color shift when I baked to VC. Nothing serious, but they are a little duller than they were before baking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts